Author Topic: Help needed for burial in Slad Gloucestershire  (Read 566 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed for burial in Slad Gloucestershire
« on: Friday 10 May 19 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I’m after some help I’ve come over from West Australia to Newent Gloucestershire to stay with my sister and her family and we are doing a bit of family history while we are here.  We are going to Stroud on Sunday which is where my pop was born before he migrated here with his parents and siblings after World War 1. 

I have the burial record for his mother born Amelia Clark but died Amelia Roots after she married Thomas Roots my great grandfathers step father.

I’m wondering where I might look for her burial place, if there is more than one cemetery I’ve no idea where to start any help would be appreciated.

I couldn’t seem to attach the file but at the top it says burials in the parish of Painswick and Slad in the year 1910.  She was buried on the 17th of December 1910 at 44 years old.  Vicar John Bevan

Blessings
Deb Rennie

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed for burial in Slad Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

Haven't been able to find the specific burial location but found this link and telephone number. Maybe calling they can help?

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/14064/about-us/

Good luck!

Paul

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
The old newspapers didn't help with Amelia, but Rev. John Bevan seemed to be of Slad Church.  Maybe it has it's own cemetery?

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
Vimto's link shows that when Holy Trinity became a parish church it 'not only served the village of Slad but the developing area of Uplands further along the valley towards Stroud'.

The burial register on Ancestry shows her last address as 'Merry Walks, Uplands'.

Holy Trinity's site also offers a look-up service for a small charge.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks all I might try emailing to see if they can help.  I thought I should at least ask questions this time we drove to Royal Wootton Bassett a few days thinking we had a grave number only to discover several had the same number and there were no numbers to be found.  Fingers crossed I have better luck this time.  Although they may not be there on the week end?

Blessings
Deb