Author Topic: Archibald Ritchie  (Read 1653 times)

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Ritchie
« on: Friday 10 May 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find the death of Archibald Ritchie who was born 25 August 1905 in Dumbarton, Scotland.  He married Margaret Downs (born 26 April 1912) on 9 July 1940 in Glasgow, Scotland and emigrated about 1948.  I understand that the family were living in New Brunswick in 1949.  I have found possible deaths for Archibald in 1975 and Margaret in 2002.  However, these are from an Ancestry Family Tree where the owner last log in was in 2016.  I have posted this on the Canada section as the last address was in New Brunswick.
Can anyone offer assistance or guidance, please?
Jim Gilda
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Scotland and Ireland - Carswell, Duffie, Gilda, Gildea, Gilday, Megraw, Nevin, Williamson
Cumbria - Priestman

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Ritchie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

reaching out as noone else has yet with a few questions:

1) Is this the same Archibald Ritchie that emigrated on 9 March 1948 aboard the Queen Mary? If so, have you tried searching the naturalisation papers for Canadian Immigrants? They only go up to (I think) 1955, and you'll have to search manually by month, but it's a start.

2) What are the names of Archie's parents? Do you know if they moved as well? I ask as I can find an Archie, born in Scotland, in Ottawa in 1921, just not sure if it's your relative. If it is, you might need to expand your search.

3) what date is the last known address? Your best bet is to take this date and look at local newspapers or reach out to any local archives for that area. If they lived in a relatively small community there's a good chance that you'll be able to locate something in the archives.

Hope that helps,

Gemma

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma!

Thanks for this. 

It is the Archibald Ritchie that emigrated aboard the Queen Mary in 1948.  I haven't searched the naturalisation files but will do so.  Archibald was born on 25 August 1905 in Dumbarton, Scotland and was the son of Archibald Ritchie & Mary Gilda (but her surname has been recorded as Gildea as well as Gilda).

Archibald's parent both died in Scotland; Archibald senior on 25 June 1927 in Dumbarton and Mary Ritchie on 6 March 1935 also in Dumbarton.  I suspect that the Archibald you found in Ottawa is not the same person as he married Margaret Sim Downs on 9 July 1940 in Glasgow, Scotland.  It may still be him so will widen my search.

The last known address was in 1949 in Saint-John Albert, New Brunswick.

Thanks for the guidance,

Jim
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Scotland and Ireland - Carswell, Duffie, Gilda, Gildea, Gilday, Megraw, Nevin, Williamson
Cumbria - Priestman

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 September 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same family as Archibald Ritchie is quite a common name and found throughout Canada.
1957 Election District  Victoria/ Carleton New Brunswick
Scoval Ritchie   Florenceville R R 2
Mrs. Scoval Ritchie
Mrs. Margaret Ritchie widow
Archie Ritchie
Mrs. Archie Ritchie

All have the same address Florenceville R. R. 2

ADDED I don't think it's the same family as in 1921 census same area Scovil Ritchie parents are George and Margaret.
So the Margaret who is a widow is probably his mother.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 September 19 09:07 BST (UK) »

The last known address was in 1949 in Saint-John Albert, New Brunswick.

Jim

This couple were also in Saint John Albert, New Brunswick on the 1945 Canada Voters List. Might be a little early if your emigrated in 1948  :-\

Did they have any children born in Scotland before the emigration ?

Did you send a message to the owner of the anc tree ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 September 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra!

Thanks for your assistance.

Archibald & Margaret had two children in Scotland;

Archibald James Ritchie born 1943 in Logie, Scotland; and
James Downs Ritchie born 1944 in Logie, Scotland.

The owner of the Ancestry tree has not logged on since 2016 so I thought it unlikely to receive a response and did not send a message.

Regards,

Jim
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Cumbria - Priestman

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 September 19 19:37 BST (UK) »

Did Margaret have a brother Matthew Henderson Downs - looks like Matthew Henderson Downs - bachelor - born Glasgow Scotland married in New Brunswick 17 September 1932 to Amber Ernestine Scribner - maiden name of mother Agnes Henderson - Father James Downs.

https://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=4cf1fc0f-559a-4b0b-9242-e43256b65e3f

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 September 19 19:41 BST (UK) »

Canada Ocean Arrivals - Matthew Down born 1908 Glasgow Scotland - aged 16 years - Glasgow to Halifax Nova Scotia - on the Tuscania. Arriving 24 May 1924.
Mother Agnes Downs - 412 Paisley Road. Glasgow.  Destined to Cosser Farm Lower Cagetown N B

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 September 19 19:45 BST (UK) »

Amber Ernestine Downs - [Scribner Downs] born 1906 died about 2001 McDonald Point New Brunswick.

Obituary - DOWNS, Amber Ersnestine (SCRIBNER) Downs - aged 95 years -  McDonald's Point NB -  Saint John E-T-G; 2001-6-4; jdlmwc

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01od4/

Sandra