Author Topic: Polish Airman emigrates from England to Pakistan  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Polish Airman emigrates from England to Pakistan
« on: Friday 10 May 19 23:29 BST (UK) »
Around 1947/48 a group of about 30 Polish Airmen set out on 2 or 3 year contracts to help set up the Pakistan Air Force.  Some settled there permanently, others extended their contracts and some left the country.  One of these men, Ludwik Swierzb, just disappeared from view and left no trace of his activities.  Can anyone please suggest where I might start looking for him.  Many thanks.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Polish Airman emigrates from England to Pakistan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 19 08:03 BST (UK) »
I did a quick Google search on this name and found a lot of information and then to Google images
for photos of these Polish airmen.
Its a good place to start.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

A lot of information on the specific airman I am looking for was actually written or posted by me or the lady I am helping.  I have been in touch with the Pakistan Air Force and several military sites out there but nobody can or will help.  I even had one response to say that the Pakistan Government will always protect their anonymity and will never release information about them

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Well reading your posts and the information online, if he died in Pakistan you have a difficult task.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi!
 I found this site about Ludwik Swierzb. He was born 26.02.1900. More - https://listakrzystka.pl/swierzb-ludwik/
Next very interested site: https://304squadron.blogspot.com/2016/09/ludwik-swierzb.html

Jozef
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 September 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Jozef,

Thank you for the information.  I am an occasional contributor to Krzystek's list as well as being one who uses it!  The 304 Squadron site is mine and the article you have referenced is all that I know about Ludwik Swierzb.  But I know nothing about what he did in Pakistan or what happened to him after his contract finished there.  I have come up against a brick wall and I am just trying to find a way around it!

He is certainly dead now, or he would be almost 120 years old, so I can see no reason for secrecy.  But either no-one knows anything or they are not telling!

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 19 23:38 BST (UK) »
I wrote a message on Facebook on Eagles- Poland- Pakistan.pl - https://www.facebook.com/Ms.A.T.Pietraszek.Mr.FranekGrabowski/posts/in-1947-the-nascent-state-of-pakistan-asked-the-british-air-force-command-for-po/1678551825790663/that I was looking for news about Ludwik. We'll see, maybe someone will answer.
It may be worth writing to the Polish consul in Karachi on this matter. I know that some pilots emigrated to the USA, Australia and Canada after 1950. That would be bad news.
Let's hope we can find something about him.

Jozef
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 September 19 01:01 BST (UK) »
Jozef,

Thank you for your help.  I have looked at the website you mentioned and it looks promising!  I hope there will be some response.  His family have no idea what happened to him.  He regularly wrote to them and sent money home then the letters stopped suddenly in the early 1950s.

I contacted the Polish Embassy in Pakistan but they did not reply.  I will try again.

Neville