Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople: Searching by Reference Number and RD  (Read 1625 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ScotlandsPeople: Searching by Reference Number and RD
« on: Saturday 11 May 19 12:22 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to do this on the new site? I was trying to find a specific record of which I had the year, reference number and registration district, but found no way on the site to search using that information. You used to be able to do it on the old site. Is it gone or just hidden away somewhere?

Please note: While I appreciate the help, this topic is not about finding the record in question (I have since found it using normal search). This is a general question about the search features of ScotlandsPeople.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople: Searching by Reference Number and RD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at their website which I use often and like you I cannot see a way to search without a name.

Maybe worth emailing them and see what explanation they give.

Sorry cannot be of more help.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
The advanced search on the old site was a good way of doing this. It is possible to search without a name only specifying the year and district name although it is not possible to include a reference number. When checking to see if it was possible to search without a name I searched for Abbey as a Registration District thinking it would bring up Abbey, Renfrewshire but it also brought up New Abbey and Abbey St Bathans, even restricting to Renfrewshire it still brings up New Abbey and Abbey St Bathans. Looking at the site address it appears to be doing a search for Abbey anywhere in registration district.

Eric

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to find this option anymore. It's a shame because I've been giving research by a relative who has helpfully sourced all the records from ScotlandsPeople with their relevant reference numbers, now it all seems to have been a waste because you can't use them to access the record directly. I've already found a few examples where I can't find the record by using the name and year.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 19 16:25 BST (UK) »
You should be able to find the relevant record using the name and year on the new site. It's been up and running a few years now.

If you have a problem please email SP and ask them why quoting the name, year and reference number you have.

I have just had to take something up with them and got a reply this morning. On Ancestry it gives a birth, year and a film number. Could not find it at all on SP. Their reply said it had been missed from the index ?? so they attached a copy for me at no charge. Not often you get a freebie.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife