Author Topic: Trees Private AND Searchable?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Trees Private AND Searchable?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
You can change which tree your DNA links to temporarily

Might be worth attaching it to your private tree for a week or two.to see if more matches turn up

I did that with my mum's DNA changed it to tree of her mum's adopted family because I suspected they might be biological connected ...nothing came up.
And it did prove to me how it works ...matches were still showing up on her father's side but thru lines weren't

That may be why thru lines sometimes disappear or if your match changes dates or spelling of the mutual main ancestor.

Good luck .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Switching your DNA between trees is not recommended. The best way to test out theories is to leave your DNA connected to one profile in one tree then connect or disconnect the branches you want to test out.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 October 19 08:14 GMT (UK) »
 Craclyn I think that's what I meant . I just " linked" the other tree to results .

I don't know what switching is do you mean to a different account ?

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 October 19 08:19 GMT (UK) »
No, I didn’t just mean switching accounts. Any move of your DNA kit from one tree to another or between profiles on a tree is not recommended. It restarts the whole processing, screws up common ancestors and ThruLines and causes confusion for any of your matches who are trying to make sense of where you connect with them. Ancestry recommend that if you want to test out various hypotheses that you leave your DNA connected to you in your tree and just connect or disconnect the branches you want to test out. You can use the tree tag “Hypothesis” to mark where you are doing this.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn