Author Topic: Remember When....  (Read 3029 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Remember When....
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,     

" What is the oldest thing in your house? "     

= ME

::)

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Great 1870s photo Carol and sharing of memories it's prompted  8)

I don't remember a carpet sweeper in our family home, I had a 1970s version which was not used as often once I had been sucked in by the vacuum cleaner salesman when we bought our first home! I gave the sweeper to one of our daughters when she first set up in her own flat and probably long gone now, though I'd find it quite useful sometimes to have one now. I have a little hand brush in plastic which works the same way for small jobs, bought from a $2/pound shop but haven't seen them again when gone looking for other daughter who wants one.

Here's a little project from March this year, it was a wee kitset Ewbank someone else had sourced and I only had to put it together... wood with brass fittings and black wool wound around the rods for the brushes, which are also moving parts  :)

That is so cute Mare....I love it, so will the fairies. I see my lady is peeping at it in the background  ;D ;D
Love hearing all the memories some of which I have recorded for that book of childhood memories that will probably never get finished  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
 :D Ran downstairs to get that and camera and to look for an old wire soap shaker while I was reading the Fairy liquid thread as well ... I didn't have a photo of me posing in a maxi skirt with my Sabco  :P

me  thinks someone builds victorian dolls houses :)  but then I could be wrong :)

xin   ;D ;D ;D
... yeah/nah ... it was always an intention but not sure if I'll do a Victorian house now, 1/12th scale also takes up rather a lot of room and I prefer to work smaller, just rooms in that scale but mostly 1/24th or 1/48th.  Plan on recreating grandma's modest single level cottage one of these days.  I might use Carol's idea of fairy sweeper, may look OK propped up beside the fairy door in the skirting I plan for miss 5 granddaughter  :D

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
I remember the woven cane carpet beater, I used to beat the mats hung over the washing line when I was a child.  We also had a Ewbank carpet sweeper although later we had an upright Hoover, which lasted years and was much better than the modern replacements.  I should also say that we used to beat the mats/rugs against a wall - in fact I still do this even today with door mats. ::)

I now have a Henry with different heads for floors or carpets, but I only use that about once a week, the rest of the time I use a "push and pull" carpet sweeper - a Bissell Natural Sweep which has 2 different types of brushes, one for small bits and one that gets the larger bits, mainly crumbs that my husband drops when he decides to walk around eating biscuits!!