Author Topic: Remember When....  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Remember When....
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 May 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
Before she got her first carpet sweeper, I remember my Mother beating the carpets over the washing line and one day, my Brother was at the other side and got whacked on the side of his head  ;D She said that she hoped she had knocked some sense into him  ;D
I also remember her having a Bex Bissell carpet shampooer.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 May 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
Carol, I just love that photo, I have never seen an old photo of someone with a domestic appliance before. I wonder what the significance was, maybe she had gone into domestic service.

I remember my grandmother having one of those carpet sweepers in the 1960s when I was a child, she would whip out the Ewbank whenever I dropped bits on the carpet.  When I cleared out my dad's home in 2015 I found that same Ewbank tucked away in his cupboard... it brought back memories.

Lovely photo Carol, thanks for sharing  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 May 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
My first vacuum cleaner when I got married was a Hoover Constellation and it was a wedding present  ;D ;D 

'Vacuum cleaner'?  Who mentioned vacuum cleaners?  This is all about old-fashioned push-&-pull self-emptying devices ....  Myself, I use dustpan and brush for the cat litter. :(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
My Mum)s first vacuum cleaner was a National,we had only one electric plug
in the house,a big round  Wylex in the kitchen.
The flex did not reach to the posh room if plugged in the kitchen plug socket so the vacuum had to be plugged into the light socket! The plug on the flex on the vacuum shaped like the end of bulb.
No vacuuming on dark days so the old Ewbank was handy but seeing as we were forced to walk on our hands not  much needed .
We always took our shoes off ,I still do but having lived abroad where it is unthinkable to leave them on , it is second nature.
We were always questioned when we went through to the kitchen” You have
 not touched the table have you?”’ The nearest thing to God  in our house it had cost the earth with a lovely cabinet and chairs.
I had it when Dad died but had to let it go when I downsized.
My Methodist days were when I was evacuated ,Mum & Dad were not church or Chapel goers but we were sent to Sunday School.
I do care for things but not to the extent that people are made miserable.
Some marks on mine are memories,like the Christmas when my second son ,all of about 46 , was having a go on his nephew’s scooter,backed into a glass cabinet shattering the glass which had to be specially cut and matched
to the original which was I think was soda glass.
The wood was damaged too, repaired but not entirely invisible.
Thank goodness for insurance!
What is the oldest thing in your house?
This topic was on a few years back and it was very interesting.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 May 19 12:44 BST (UK) »
'ME'

;D ;D ;D ;D

xin

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Ooooooh and I bet you are a valuable antique Xinia,whereas I was won on a fairground hoopla stall.
Either that or the other version ,ie I was found in the back street after the rag bone man had passed along.
Although sometimes if Mum was in a good mood I was found in a cabbage yet my sister was found in a Rose. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I expect some of the older Ewbanks will be the oldest thing in some posters‘houses.
Where have all the years gone?
Viktoria.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 May 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Great 1870s photo Carol and sharing of memories it's prompted  8)

I don't remember a carpet sweeper in our family home, I had a 1970s version which was not used as often once I had been sucked in by the vacuum cleaner salesman when we bought our first home! I gave the sweeper to one of our daughters when she first set up in her own flat and probably long gone now, though I'd find it quite useful sometimes to have one now. I have a little hand brush in plastic which works the same way for small jobs, bought from a $2/pound shop but haven't seen them again when gone looking for other daughter who wants one.

Here's a little project from March this year, it was a wee kitset Ewbank someone else had sourced and I only had to put it together... wood with brass fittings and black wool wound around the rods for the brushes, which are also moving parts  :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 May 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
me  thinks someone builds victorian dolls houses :)  but then I could be wrong :)

xin   ;D ;D ;D

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 May 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
Lovely picture

Was it also meant to indicate that if you had one of these new-fangled carpet sweepers, your maid could dress all in white, as she wouldn't get dirty from the cleaning?

;)

I love her starched apron.....

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex