Author Topic: Jewish Marriage Authorisation  (Read 239 times)

Offline needtolearnhebrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Marriage Authorisation
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
While you're waiting for someone here to decipher it, I suggest you upload it to ViewMate at JewishGen.

https://www.jewishgen.org/ViewMate/view.asp

You need to register, but it's free, and usually very speedy.

Thanks so much Bookbox - I didn't know of that site.  I really appreciate your help!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A brother called Ze'ev is indeed named. Ze'ev is the Hebrew word for "wolf" and the brother's Yiddish name would have been Volf, which is derived from the German word for "wolf".

The response for "Will attend wedding" contains an acronym, whose exact meaning is unclear. However, the first two Hebrew words (lo yihyeh) preceding the acronym mean "will not be".

Justin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline needtolearnhebrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A brother called Ze'ev is indeed named. Ze'ev is the Hebrew word for "wolf" and the brother's Yiddish name would have been Volf, which is derived from the German word for "wolf".

The response for "Will attend wedding" contains an acronym, whose exact meaning is unclear. However, the first two Hebrew words (lo yihyeh) preceding the acronym mean "will not be".

Justin

Hi Justin

Thank you very much. That is so kind of you to help me out and provide me with that really useful and interesting information.

I really appreciate your help!

With best wishes