Author Topic: Name of ship can’t quite work it out  (Read 3732 times)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name of ship can’t quite work it out
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 May 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
Line 1              Same                Master
      2                do                   1stMate
      3                Ken....             2ndMate
                           (Liverpool)
      4               Same                Carpenter   
      5                 do                     ?
      6                Bredalbane         AB
Same means voyage continues on same ship as before.
do on next line means same as above.
Ken.... is his previous ship.
Same means voyage continues on same ship as before.
do on next line means same as above.
Bredalbane is his previous ship.
The seamen on lines 1,2,4 & 5 remain for this voyage.
Lines 3 & 6 are new crew members.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 May 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 May 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
Cannot be 100% but I would go along with KENILWORTH but not the vessel linked by Richard. This vessel was not launched until 1887 and we are looking at the year 1880 according to the Crew Agreement of APHRODITE. (Munchies. Do you have her official number?)
Problem is,  there were two vessels with the name KENILWORTH registered in Liverpool in 1880. Ther
One with the official number 51538 the other 54920. Both Crew Agreements are at MHA Newfoundland.
 I don't think it is but needs to be checked out If  you draw a blank on KENILWORTH The correct spelling is BREADALBANE o/n 69284
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
So the Aphrodite official number is 59251 and I can view and read the crew agreement as this is where I got the details from
I think the first page of agreement says voyage will commence NEWPORT MON (is this Monmouthshire)  on 31/8/1880
And terminates at Liverpool on 16/4/1881
The Captains plan seems to say it will go to Havana and any port or ports within the West Indies and at Atlantic Ocean, United States of America, Dominion of Canada (possibly Ecuador if I squint)
 ? ? (I can’t read these words) Sea, France, Spain and Portugal and any other ports deemed (decreed) the latitudes of 70 (degrees) North and 60 (degrees) South
Trading ? ? Exceeding of 2 years there and back. If a port of discharge  ?   ? Curfew and E?
Calling for or (der’s) when all. ?   ?

Now that I have inverted the colours I am inclined to think Janie is correct. And I think he was the ships cook (that’s what his sons baptism record says)

I can also find him in 1889 on a ship called the Marabout in the Canadian Seafarers of the Atlantic Provinces 1789-1935 via ancestry. However the official ships number is J882057 which doesn’t exist in the mercantile records. In this record he says his previous ship was the Yarmouth or was from Yarmouth?
This seems like a very long trip Feb 1889 to Sep 1890 is that likely
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 May 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
Your message appeared as I was preparing a reply.
You are asking about a ship from an 1881 CL&A which is named Aphrodite and can be viewed on www.mun.ca/mha.
Line 5 for Elias Sandie records his previous ship as "Do" and from the line above which has "Same" this means he sailed his previous voyage on the same ship ie Aphrodite.
Nothing else on the CL&A you give is of any relevance.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:19 BST (UK) »
munchies.  MARABOUT official number 85504. POR St John New Brunswick.
There was no Liverpool Registered ship with the Name JANIE around in 1880.
The JANIE registered in Runcorn O/N 65157. Her 1880 Crew Agreements are obtainable from here
Cheshire Archives and Local Studies Archive reference NS16/93. 
jcmac
I had already read the Crew Agreement from MHA before writting my last post. I can see where you are comeing from but I am still going along with KENILWORTH.
But hey, this is not a competition. All I am saying is start the search with KENILWORTH/APHRODITE.
If its a no go, then take a look at the crew agreements for any vessel he may have sailed on previous to August 1880. All the C/A s for APHRODITE, KENILWORTH and  BREADALBANE are at MHA /MUN.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php
 I don't know what is available from commercial sites.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 May 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
So after an afternoon of reading ships crew agreements I think jcmac is correct the first line with the captain says Same (its much clearer on other entries) meaning he was on the same ship as he is currently on. So having excluded the Kenilworth I think Elias Saunde was previously in the Aphrodite.

As I understand it  National Archives wanted to get rid of lots of records and were going to destroy them but conservationists and family historians saved them. Some are still in U.K. at the National Archives and some are at Maritime museum, some are in Newfoundland and Maritime history suggests that some local history groups took some records relevant to their areas. Have I understood this correctly

Unfortunately I cannot find any other online records at the moment but there are records in the National Archives or at the Maritme Museum that I can request a search of so that might be the next step.

Both the Aphrodite and the Marabout (the other ship I found him on) are from New Brunswick in Canada and the Yarmouth mentioned as his previous ship from entry  on Marabout is from Yarmouth Nova Scotia so a bit of a theme I hope.

And lastly the Marabout seems to have been a long trip. Elias joined ship on 28/2/1889 and was discharged on 29/9/1890 would this have been one trip for 17months?
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 June 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Just to let anyone interested know what I found
I tracked Elias backwards and forwards from Aphrodite with help from Canadian Maritime museum

Glasgow in 1878
Aphrodite 1879
Aphrodite 1880
Aphrodite 1880

Princess Alexandra 1886
Nellie T Guest 1886
Nellie T Guest 1887
Nellie T Guest 1888
Marabout 1889

The ones in the missing gap are only available via National archives which I will do after my holiday
It has been fascinating doing the research even though it seems to be proving that he isn’t actually my great grandfather as he is away at sea for several of his children’s conceptions including my grandfathers 🙈

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 00:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting concluding line...a long journey to find the truth, well done!

I have to ask whether this was your suspicion prior to checking out his seafaring journeys?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"