Author Topic: Name of ship can’t quite work it out  (Read 3734 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name of ship can’t quite work it out
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 19 05:55 BST (UK) »
For me.....
Elias Saunders (23) EDIT ..maybe.. 33  Norway Liverpool (above) Janie (below)
 ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry about 2 identical threads I tried to post one iPad crashed so I started again as I thought it hadn’t gone through  :-\

Threads merged.
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
I think it could be the “Janie”

Eg this From the OCR

BeringapatuDi, London Janie, Liverpool Hartford, Arendal, Griding, Liverpool Lady Gertrude, Greenock Unione S, Hull 4 32 p.si.—TJE, modsrate. PORXHLEVEN. Arrived off Mary, Stodden [Aprl3]Hnvre and proceeded for Newport
15 April 1880 - Lloyd's List - London, London, England

So where do I find this record what is the OCR?

I was using various first letters eg F, S, L etc and then searching the Mercantile Navy lists to try and find the official number of the ship once I have this number I can search the crew agreements index.

Janie looks like a good option but I can’t find that ship in mercantile lists where did you find it?

I can find a Janie searching ancestry but the official ship number recorded there says it doesn’t exist on mercantile lists 😫🤷‍♀️
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
I could be completely wrong, but I read the word as “Same”.  I think the word “Same”’is used the first time a name is repeated in the column, and then “Do.” is used for all subsequent repeats.  So I think the ship is the “Ken_____” but I’m not sure of the full name.

I also read it as 'Same' and read the names in the box as 'Kenilworth' and 'Liverpool'.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
"Same"
ie the same ship as he is presently signing on for this voyage - Aphrodite.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
I think it could be the “Janie”

Eg this From the OCR

BeringapatuDi, London Janie, Liverpool Hartford, Arendal, Griding, Liverpool Lady Gertrude, Greenock Unione S, Hull 4 32 p.si.—TJE, modsrate. PORXHLEVEN. Arrived off Mary, Stodden [Aprl3]Hnvre and proceeded for Newport
15 April 1880 - Lloyd's List - London, London, England

So where do I find this record what is the OCR?   british newspaper archive. I accessed it from findmypast, but it has its own website too. OCR is the optical character recognition on the search results

I was using various first letters eg F, S, L etc and then searching the Mercantile Navy lists to try and find the official number of the ship once I have this number I can search the crew agreements index.

Janie looks like a good option but I can’t find that ship in mercantile lists where did you find it?

I can find a Janie searching ancestry but the official ship number recorded there says it doesn’t exist on mercantile lists 😫🤷‍♀️

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
Salvage of the Janie of Runcorn

17 March 1883 - Shipping and Mercantile Gazette - London, London,

Beginning of article here has a description

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
I do not see the Capital letter 'S' for the word 'Same'  ... the capital letter I see is 'J'   Check how the capital letter 'S' is formed by looking at the surname for Elias at line 5.  Notice the flow of the ink, notice where the letter commences at line 5 ... and that the word suggested as 'Same' does not start with the same capital letter as Elias' surname at line 5.   Line 1's letter as a capitalised 'J' commences with the downward stroke in the 'middle' which is the usual start for the letter J in that style of longhand...  I still commence my longhand 'J' in that position.  I still commence my 'S' at the lower position as in line 5.   

It is very unusual to commence a column with the word 'Same' ... you would need to look at the previous entry (on the page immediately prior) ...

I can read 'Janie'  and I can read 'Jame' the confusion to me is only the letter or letters between the 'a' and the 'e'

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:54 BST (UK) »
Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette page 3 Mon March 5, 1883
Disasters to Shipping
Schooner Ashore
The schooner Janie, of Padstow, from Runcorn for the Tyne (salt) ran ashore on Saturday, between Newbiggin and Cresswell, but was expected off next tide.
…………….
North & South Shields Daily Gazette and Shipping Telegraph 22 March 1883 page 4
Maritime Notes
The Janie, Matthews, from Plymouth for Shields, left Lowestoft on Tuesday
…………………….

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.