Author Topic: Why can't I find Evan and Margaret Jones in 1851?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Why can't I find Evan and Margaret Jones in 1851?
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 06:52 BST (UK) »
I have a little mystery someone might be able to help with. I'm researching my G x 3 grandparents Evan Jones (b.1826) and Margaret (nee JOHNS, b.1829), who emigrated from Wales to Victoria, Australia in c.1855. I've found quite a bit of information on them from various (mostly Australian) sources including old newspapers, cemetery records, death certificate, etc. But I can't see them in the 1851 census anywhere.

According to Margaret's death certificate, they were married in c.1849 in Glamorganshire, and her parents were Thomas Johns & Catherine (nee Davis). They seem to have had strong connections to the Llantrisant/Pentyrch area of Glamorgan. Their eldest daughter Catherine was baptised in May 1851, ie. just a few months after the census, at Llantrisant. Then their son John was baptised at nearby Pentyrch on 11 Aug 1852-- their abode at that point was stated as Llwyn-y-brain-bach (a house between the villages of Pentych and Llantrissant). Much later in 1872 their daughter Catherine, who seems to have stayed behind in Wales, was married at Llantrisant.

I've search the 1851 census record for Llwyn-y-brain-bach-- but it shows a different family living there.

Am I missing something? How reliable are the census records? Or perhaps they were not in the same dwelling on census night for some reason.
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I find Evan and Margaret Jones in 1851?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 19 07:37 BST (UK) »
Check Census 1851 reference HO107  2456  265  16

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I find Evan and Margaret Jones in 1851?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much! I have no idea how I missed that.
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks