Author Topic: Scanning photos and dust  (Read 1622 times)

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Scanning photos and dust
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all! I’m hoping some one might be able to give me advice.
My mum gave me a bunch of negatives that she had kept in a plastic bag (I know, I know). They were from the late 80s onwards and when I scanned them I noticed dust specks on the scanned images. I tried to clean the negatives with lots of things I read online which may help: rubbing alcohol, micro fibre cloths, water etc but they just seemed to rub the dust around, not remove it.
I thought when I go in to scan the family photo albums it will be better because they have been kept in an album behind plastic. I cleaned my scanner by dusting it and using a micro fibre cloth and started to scan. And I noticed the same thing still happens. It’s not marks on the image because when I re scan them after trying to clean the dust they particles have moved.
So I’m wondering if anyone has any idea how to clean dust from negatives, photographs and scanners?
Thank you :)
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning photos and dust
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
I use a very soft blusher brush for my scanner, photos an negatives as I find they work best for me. A  soft shaving brush would also do the job.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
I use an old puffer brush that I used to clean negs in the olden days. Carol's blusher brush is similar but it won't have the little squeezie at the end.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
I knew you would have experience of this Gadget and thanks for the link, what a useful tool...I think I will invest in one  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:17 BST (UK) »
 ;D

One of my tutors maintained that the best thing was to never get dust, etc on them in the first place - but we can't all be as meticulous as she was  :-X

PS - don't forget to make sure the scanner bed is dust free too. We've seen many images put up for restoration that could have been better having the scanner cleaned before they were scanned.

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice everyone!
I found this puff thing, is it suitable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00017LSPI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3KY5TH59FPY5P&psc=1
The reviews talk about it being used for cameras and electronics but I assume it can be used safely on photos and negatives.
I’ve also read rear cleaning the scanner glass with glasses cleaner is a good idea, has anyone had any trouble with that?

A question that maybe I should put in another thread but I was wondering, what resolution do you guys scan in? I’ve been doing 1000 but not sure if that’s right or not?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
The one you've found is not the correct type. Have a look at the link I gave in my Reply #3.

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
The one you've found is not the correct type. Have a look at the link I gave in my Reply #3.

Thank you :) just bought it. Comes here at the weekend, hope it works!