Author Topic: Late 49er in California  (Read 525 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Late 49er in California
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
    Samuel Beart Foss from Dorset is to be seen in the U.S.1870 Census at Salt Point near Eureka, Ca. aged 30. With him is Frederick Foss aged 21, also at Salt Point, who is almost certainly his brother. Whilst I know when Samuel was back in the U.K., for he married there in 1876, I know nothing further about Frederick. All the written records I have suggest that the family didn’t know either. He may have simply gone missing, perhaps killed, and no one ever knew. Are there any records of persons missing or was this post gold rush area totally lawless?
   Samuel was probably in California because of the gold rush although he might have been a bit late. Are there any records which might show for certain what he was doing there? He had come to California in about 1857 and there is a family tradition that he had gone on horseback to Peta Lama in the fall of 1860 to vote for Abraham Lincoln. Could this be true, as he was an Englishman? It is not known when he moved north.
Thanks for any help. Toby.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Late 49er in California
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure he could have become a citizen in 3 years. You might be able to google that information. I know there was a waiting period.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
CA Voter Registrations

Frederick Joaquin Foss
Residence Year:    1873
Residence Place:    Colusa, California

Is this Samuel, if so I was wrong about citizenship.
CA Voter Reg.
Name:    Samuel Parker Foss
Residence Year:    1868
Residence Place:    Humboldt, California
Birth Year:    abt 1834

I'm on the way out and will look later for more.

Edit - guess not, different middle name. Maybe someone else will have the time to do justice to the research, at least for now.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for kicking off this investigation. As you say, wrong middle names. Thank goodness second names started to be used. I don't have enough fingers to count up Samuel Foss' in my family. T

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:57 BST (UK) »
OK.  Frederick Joaquin Foss is not your man. He was born 1828-1833 in Denmark and died in San Francisco February 25, 1874, a native of Denmark.

----
from https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/How_to_Find_California_Death_Records
"Before 1905, some counties in California kept death records."

some not all. So the factor isn't the possible lawlessness of the area, it's just that most places weren't keeping records. True of most of the US also until the early 1900's.

Familysearch pointed to 2 databases for deaths before 1905, one at familysearch and one at ancestry. I didn't find Frederick in either.  I tried the front page of both sites, looking in California from 1870 to 1999, and still didn't find him.

There is still the possibility that he died elsewhere in the US or Canada, there are a few men born 1845 - 1855 on the  US records. You'd probably have to weed them out one at a time by working backward to see if they lived their lives in the locality in which they died.

------------
at ancestry.com: San Francisco Passenger Lists arriving 1857 in California
no Foss found.

---------------
that 1870 census tells you a few other things. the area of Salt Point they lived in, Samuel owned land and had money, and neither appear to be citizens. There is a column near the far right that asks that question:

1870 Timber Cove Post Office, Salt Point, Sonoma CA page 12, 28 July 1870

Frederick Foss, 21, rancher, born in England, parents of foreign birth, male citizen column not checked, no Real Estate or Personal Estate

1870 Timber Cove Post Office, Salt Point, Sonoma CA page 18, 28 July 1870

Samuel B Foss, 30, teamster, Real Estate: $500, Personal Estate: $200, born in England, parents of foreign birth, male citizen column not checked

----------
from https://www.archives.gov/research/naturalization/naturalization.html
1790 to 1922 (or later I forget), path to citizenship:
2 years residence: can file declaration of intention
3 years later: can petition for naturalization
if granted, certificate of citizenship issued

-----
so you can probably toss out the story that Samuel voted for Abe Lincoln. he still could have been a campaign worker though :). and I haven't googled to see if Lincoln made any campaign appearances in California.

----

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
CA Voter Registrations

Frederick Joaquin Foss
Residence Year:    1873
Residence Place:    Colusa, California

The above record shows an aged of 45 years - born 1828  ???  Birthplace of Denmark.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VNFN-DML

The 1870 shows an age of 21 years  ???

Sandra

Oops you realised...........
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
Oops you realised...........

Yeah but it took me 3 hours :)