Author Topic: William Montgomery  (Read 2028 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: William Montgomery
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 May 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
He looks to have died in 1888:

Montgomery
William
7/8/1888
W.S., 26 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, d. 02/03/1888 at Edinburgh, intestate

He was aged 65yrs, so perhaps older than the William you are looking for?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 May 19 00:02 BST (UK) »
When William married 1913 in father's details it says 'William Montgomery, Clerk, reputed father'.

No mention of the word lawyer and being a clerk does not mean he was actually a lawyer.

Indeed, I can only find one William Montgomery who was a Clerk (in 1887 when he married and when your William conceived) and in 1891 when he is with his wife and a 2 year old daughter in Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Said William Montgomery, Clerk, aged 30, son of John Montgomery, Farmer (deceased) and Janet McMurdo (deceased) married Agnes Waugh Fergusson 8/4/1887 Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Was the dalliance with Elizabeth Barr a 'fling' before his marriage I wonder.

Have just seen a couple of trees on Ancestry completely wrong - they show this William born 1859 Troqueer, son of Robert and Margaret - if they'd only bothered to view his marriage certrificate they would know his parents were John Montgomery and Janet McMurdo - indeed he was born to  them on 30/4/1857 Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Being the only William Montgomery in Scotland whose occupation was 'Clerk' in timeframe of 1887 to 1891 this must surely be your man??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 May 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Him being described on the marriage document as a Clerk, could certainly make a difference, Annette7. As you say, not necessarily a lawyer after all. Perhaps the Willam posted earlier in thread (@ reply#6), as an Insurance Secretary Fire was considered to be a Clerk?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 May 19 01:01 BST (UK) »
In 1901 he's described as 'House Decorator's Clerk' (surname transcribed as Mongomery).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizmonty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 May 19 03:49 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone your help is appreciated. I will get the research mode back on track later in the week. Thankfully my other lines have given me less of a headache