Author Topic: Windows 7 or 8? - Upgrade to 10!  (Read 170 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Windows 7 or 8? - Upgrade to 10!
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
The following is quite legal and comes from Microsoft itself - 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/ 

Read the article and the download link is -   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

Either choose to do it now, or the lower button lets you save a copy of the download files for using later. 

My laptop was 7.1. Four years ago, Microsoft gave a free upgrade to 8, which became 8.1. I updated yesterday and am running Windows 10 today. 

Be advised - 

The download files are 3 GB - 3 gigabytes - BIG FILES! 

It took me just over 4 hours to do. It downloads first then it verifies everything it just down loaded to make sure it has it all correctly.   

It checks your computer to make sure you have enough room to upgrade and that you have a legally installed copy of 7 or 8.   

If you want, it saves ALL your files and settings. If not you can get a clean sweep (factory install) with nothing on it and you start again. Not default - you have to ask for this! 

Since its release Win 10 has had many updates - it does them all, in turn. It does many restarts and then with little ceremony there is a log in screen and Win 10 has arrived. 

All my programs are still there and so is my data - everything! It does try and push things at you. Microsoft Edge as a browser - no thanks, I will stick to Firefox. I have used Paint Shop Pro 7 for 19 years, I don't want Photoviewer. I use Snip a lot - they want me to use Snip and Spread (not in front of the children, I don't think).   

Little changes overall, but supposedly more efficient and more stable. All the important stuff is still there. 

So far, I am pleased. 

Regards   

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 or 8? - Upgrade to 10!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
I can also confirm that this is legitimate - I downloaded and installed this Win10 on an old laptop about a month ago - long, but smooth install process. The MS story about "Free upgrades no longer available" is just marketing fluff.   Possibly, the download does not cover every situation, or hardware/software combination, but it worked for me.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.