Author Topic: Help with McCarthy Family of Lixnaw  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with McCarthy Family of Lixnaw
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
 If that is our Eileen, the McCarthy girls sure had a tendency to marry late.

I know what you mean about the New York Brothers. I think my next step is to order a copy of the Daniel that may or may not be the right one’s  death certificate from 1925. That’s about the best hope I have of figuring out if it’s him or not.

It just occurred to me that Thomas died only 22 days after his sister died in St. Louis.  And both of their death certificates incorrectly suggest they were born in 1870.  Nelly apparently pretended to be exactly 10 years younger than she was for virtually her whole life in America. Even her daughter believed it.  it’s even on her tombstone.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
Have you checked c reg Marriage results for Timothy Mc Carthy from 1929 to ?

I looked at Dublin ones only.    http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nsl/
I think I went through them all and none of them looked like the right guy.  But I think I also only looked in Dublin.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
 By the way, is anyone here a paid member of findmypast?   I did some checking, and it appears that is the place to go for British army pension records, so I’m wondering if someone could do a look up for me on Thomas’s military records from there.

Also, does anyone have any advice on the Irish newspaper archive? I don’t know how good they are about publishing obituaries in Dublin. I tried using that site looking for obituaries in County Kerry a while back, but never found what I was looking for.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
By the way, is anyone here a paid member of findmypast?   I did some checking, and it appears that is the place to go for British army pension records, so I’m wondering if someone could do a look up for me on Thomas’s military records from there.

Also, does anyone have any advice on the Irish newspaper archive? I don’t know how good they are about publishing obituaries in Dublin. I tried using that site looking for obituaries in County Kerry a while back, but never found what I was looking for.

Does your local Library have access to them?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
It does not appear so.

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
Don't know if anyone will care this far after the fact, but the two sons of Thomas McCarthy and Mary Lawlor that we didn't have a good bio for actually turned out to be fairly notable.

John Joseph (aka Jack) was a star defensive player on Bohemians FC and on the Irish Olympic team in 1924.  He even has his own wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_McCarthy_(Irish_footballer).  His son played for the Bohs for a year in the 50s, also.  His granddaughter (whose DNA match with me led to this discovery) was a member of the Irish National Field Hockey team for several years.

As someone who knows little about soccer and less still about Irish soccer, I'm not sure how big a deal the Bohs are exactly, but the Olympics do stand out for me.

His younger brother Stephen was a forward for the Bohs, and led the team in scoring in 1929.  I'm still not sure what became of Stephen after his playing days, though.  Despite her being his great niece, Jack's granddaughter was completely unaware of Stephen's existence (or of any of Jack's other siblings, for that matter).

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 11:47 BST (UK) »

His younger brother Stephen was a forward for the Bohs, and led the team in scoring in 1929.  I'm still not sure what became of Stephen after his playing days, though. 

Might this be Stephen's marriage in 1946?
25th November to Anne Smith at St Agatha RC church, Dublin.
One witness was his younger brother Timothy?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1946/08729/5153837.pdf

Edited to Add:
1911 census living at Fairview Avenue, Clontarf, Dublin.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Clontarf_West__Part_of/Fairview_Avenue/20397/

Born 1907 at Fairview Avenue.    #495
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01667/1663972.pdf
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Dan Culp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
That’s most definitely him!  Even has the same address as his parents had at the time of their deaths in 1939 and 1943.

Any idea what “ESB” stands for? I assumed it was an Irish military organization since he’s listed as a staff officer, but I’m having trouble finding that, and wonder if I might be reading a letter wrong. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 13:11 BST (UK) »

Any idea what “ESB” stands for? 

ESB - Electricity Supply Board

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESB_Group

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo