Author Topic: Uncle was a submariner - Any Information?  (Read 133 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Senior
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Uncle was a submariner - Any Information?
« on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:57 BST (UK) »
Yesterday at a family reunion I discovered that my uncle William John Vowles (Known as John) was in fact a submariner in the RN during WW2. All I know is that he married my aunt Margaret Ruth Allard (Known as Ruth) on the 9 November 1942 at St Mary's Church, Wareham, Dorset where Ruth was nursing and he was serving in the RN. They had two daughters Ann & Janet. I really would love to know a bit more about him and his service in the RN. Can anybody add any more meat to my bare bone. Any information at all would be most appreciated.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle was a submariner - Any Information?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
You will really need his service record which is still held by the Ministry of Defence https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle was a submariner - Any Information?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 19:28 BST (UK) »
Once you get his record,contact the Submarine Museum and they will have more information about the boats he served on.