Author Topic: McCallum/Skinner/Robertson/Millson  (Read 667 times)

Offline suemillie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCallum/Skinner/Robertson/Millson
« on: Monday 13 May 19 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Albert George Skinner was born in Walworth London in 1890 to George and Rose nee Lawrie. – confirmed on his Marriage Cert.

He married Jean Demsey McCallum (in New Zealand 1915.  Shortly after that he disappeared. There is an Albert George Skinner same age who died in Salonika in 1918 but parents don’t match.

Jean was born in Campbeltown, Scotland 1890.  She remarried in NZ in 1933 to Thomas Edward Millson.  It appears they had two children before this marriage. On her new marriage cert she states, "previously marriage but husband disappeared for last 17 years but still alive?"

John Skinner was born in 1918 to Jean Demsey McCallum Skinner however father is NR, yet she was married to Albert at the time.  DNA seems to have John to be the son of Dugald MacDonald Robertson and Jean, but to date no trace of John either, however I believe he is my father – John Gray  - orphaned. 

Dugald and wife Pauline Fleming had a daughter  Valerie Patricia Robertson in 1916, married Denis Kelsey who in turn had Peter Dugald Kelsy.

So my question is, does anyone have any of these names in their research that might shed some light on Albert in particular?  The McCallum's and Robertson's are well research in my tree but it is from 1917 onwards that's proving difficult.

Kind regards
Sue
Gray/Skinner, Hosking, Seward, Clark/e, Robertson, Stewart/Stuart, Wilkie/Richardson

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McCallum/Skinner/Robertson/Millson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 19 04:57 BST (UK) »
There was a Albert George Skinner in Australia in 1923. Could be worth checking out.

Eastern Districts Chronicle (York, WA : 1877 - 1927) 
Fri 5 Oct 1923

Alleged False Pretences. At the Court on Saturday, before Messrs. J. B. Harris and R. Inkpen, J.'sP., an agent named Albert George Skinner was charged with having at East Kirrup on November 21, 1921, and subsequent dates, fraudulently obtain ed £35 from S. J. Searle, by pretending that he was duly authorised to sell certain land of the Malvern Estate. Accused was remanded to Perth, bail being allowed, himself in -£25, and two sureties of a similar amount each.
At Perth on Tuesday Skinner was further remanded for 8 days.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/148805227

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
If you do check out that Albert he also had a alias.

The Avon Gazette and York Times
Fri 5 Oct 1923
Alleged False Pretenses — Albert George (Alias Gilbert) Skinner, who was remanded at York on Saturday last, was further remafided at  thePerth Police Court on Tuesday for eight days, etc
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/209865691

I dont think he is your fella, in another article he is classed as middle aged in 1923. A article dated 1944 he is aged 59. Unless the middle aged one and the 59 year old one are 2 different people.

Offline suemillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you for that info.  I will certainly check it out as I suspect he did get on a boat at some stage and left for overseas and Australia was the quickest of trips.  Cant find anything in shipping records but that doesn't mean he didn't go. 

Regards
Sue
Gray/Skinner, Hosking, Seward, Clark/e, Robertson, Stewart/Stuart, Wilkie/Richardson

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 03:53 BST (UK) »
John Skinner was born in 1918 to Jean Demsey McCallum Skinner however father is NR, yet she was married to Albert at the time.

Have you checked military records for Albert?  I'm wondering of Jean had an affair resulting in a child while Albert was off to war, and Albert just never returned after service (1919 for most).