Author Topic: Reading faded shipping details  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Reading faded shipping details
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello

Is it possible to have a bigger clipping from the page?

Then it could be possible to see what letters are printing well, and which leave a characteristically poor, and or, out of alignment impression. It is possible that a typo saw the first two letters typed in capitals for the street name.

My guess is 43 E.  Then Fl or El .... but in that selection of Clydebank names, few are Streets with only 6 or 7 characters, without tops and tails. Tried tweeking the image with filters etc, but without any luck.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
What exactly is the document? I am wondering if it was typed up at a later date and there may be a hand written original?

If this is a document at port of arrival, was there anything at port of departure in Australia?

I still wonder if a better image can be obtained ....

Knowing the address he is heading to in 1955 might not lead to finding the man. It could have been a friend's address ... but I realise this is all you have to work with at the moment.

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
er...forgot how to reply to a pm....re: this post...please help. I have left the person stranded....  :(  I find now that James Thorburn, believe he died Clydebank, Scotland 2015, so can say his name. He may have been born in NSW Aust, which is a new idea. Unfortunately Aust NSW birth records can only be accessed after 100 years. (1919) He was born 13/12/1926. Do thank you all, just wanted my pm messenger to know I have lost the plot on returning pm's. But thanks.  ;)
Bonser, Bonsire France, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Australia
Burton, de Bourton, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire
Woodthorpe, de Woodthorpe, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Essex, Suffolk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
Yes,  NSW BDM has restricted access to the general public to births for 100 years. I am not encouraging you to get your sil's hopes up, BUT ... if she were to write a letter to 'The Prinicipal Registrar, NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages' requesting access to the name/s of the parents as recorded on that 1926 birth certificate, there is a very slight possibility that they may be able to provide that info.   Of course, the request is for further research to determine if there is any medical conditions that may be passed down through the generations and should note the death in Scotland, and the relationship for the letter writer to the person born NSW ....

(I have had a phone call from my elderly rellie, former senior officer NSW BDM, he reads RChat posts, but declines to join)

PMs can be tricky, there should be a reply button...   if I am on my e reader I cannot find it, I can only see the reply button on my actual puter  I am attaching a snip.

ADD, do not send an email, it goes to a call centre thingy   ::)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
MORE ADDS to last post.

Do NOT try the NSW Service Centres in person... but do make an old fashioned snail mail letter, to

The Principal Registrar,
NSW Births,Deaths and Marriages,
35 Regent St,
CHIPPENDALE. NSW 2008

Fingers crossed I have got all those details fully spot on.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JudithS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks MAJM - JM - I hear you, thanks so much for your information. Have seen that 1926 births in NSW are microfiched. Bit of a big gap in history - its easier to research older docs. cheers and thanks.  :D :D 
Bonser, Bonsire France, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Australia
Burton, de Bourton, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire
Woodthorpe, de Woodthorpe, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Essex, Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
A couple of thoughts which could be way off the mark ....
Thorburn doesn’t sound like a Scottish name.
It seems unusual that someone from Australia would go to Scotland at that time. (era of the £10 pom) but there could be any number of reasons he did go there .....

I agree with JM that you (or your friend) should contact NSW registrar and ask for a “favour” and hope they can sympathise with the situation. If you don’t get the answer you want, keep trying. Recently there was an example of some common sense regarding issuing a certificate, but they did have to push for a positive result.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Judith, was this man named as the father on your friend's birth certificate? I assume not as he was not present?

Added: To send a PM you click on the scroll in the circle under a person's name (on the left of the thread).

There are a lot of Thorburns in the NSW BMD indexes. ;)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
My earlier reply yesterday at 12.31 included a reference to 43, East Thomson Street, Clydebank and the surname beginning Th.... - I can confirm this is the surname you have identified and the initial of the first name begining D.