Author Topic: Natty Smith Hereford gypsy family  (Read 346 times)

Offline Jerry Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Natty Smith Hereford gypsy family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
So Darkie/Darkus the wife of Amos is not your natural mother?

You really should talk with Amos (or your mother)  and see what is suggested as names for his siblings, don't interrogate, just ask what he/she remembers.
Was he the eldest, somewhere in the middle or a tail-ender?

And you also NEED that marriage certificate between Amos & Darkie (even if Darkie is not your natural mother).

That Matchett - smith marriage certificate and the two birth certificates (for the bride & groom) are your next step(s) on that line

Pauline
Darkus isn't my mother,my mum and amos was only together few months in 1970 in Hereford hop Field's,I was only told amos was my father last yr .
Hes the youngest of  . 11 children and only one alive still.
Amos and darkus have 3 children and I'm also his son ,my mum is wendy "patrulia"matchet.
My dad is very poorly and remember s nothing and my mouther didn't know his family.
Darkus told me they have been married 60yrs and married when in there twenties.all Amos family are from Hereford .
I will be able to get the matchet side dates from my oldest brother.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jerry Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Darkie is really Dorcas?   

There is a possible marriage in 1958 in Abergavenny;  Amos Smith and Dorcas Davies.   :-\
That could be her ,they lived on abdrgavenny Rd in a wagon and traveld around Herefordshir and Welsh borders

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
The issue is that while Amos is a tail-ender, we've no way of picking out which Smith-Smith births prior to (the early 1930's) have a father called Natty/ Nathaniel.

Add to that the parents of the 1908-born Nathaniel appear to be living as Johns in the 1939 (see reply #8) it's far from straightforward.

The best candidate for Amos Smith's birth is 1934 Wolverhampton. You could try buying that one if the father is named as Natty . We can rule out 1932 MMN Finch as the cert is published online.

Go back to Nathaniel's 1991 death and see if there was a notice/report in the local newspaper, or find out where he is buried and go look at the headstone/find out who else he's buried with.

In the meantime, get that order in on your Maternal grandfather and grandmother.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.