Author Topic: Tasmania Birth/Death Louisa Davis  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Aaron Pitt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasmania Birth/Death Louisa Davis
« on: Monday 13 May 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I hope I've posted in the right area, its been a while.
Im searching for my grandmothers birth mother. Her name was Louisa Davis and 18yo single girl from Burnie Tasmania.  She gave birth to my grandmother Marjorie Jean Davis 24th Jan 1920. But had her adopted out on the 16th March 1921. I have a number of documents ( consent to adopt , Order of adoption ) but I seem to be drawing a blank on the name Louisa Davis fitting the loose criteria of being born about 1902 in Tasmania. I understand she might not have been born in Tasmania or it might not have been her birth name of Louisa that has been signed on these forms. I have come across a few Louisa Davis name but they all don't match that well to require further investigation.
Only to happy to provide any more info if required
Thanks
Ackers, Adams, Anderson, Atkinson, Baker, Caffrey, Campbell, Cheek, Chilcott, Colwill, Dinan, Dornan, Farckens, Frohwirt, Hanrahan, Harding, Kingston, Lee, Livock, Macnamara, Marheine, Maroney, Massey, Mcnally, Mcquaide, Morrish, Moth, Murphy, Oaten, Pellet, Pitt, Porter, Rice, Rose, Schafer, Smart, Strout, Whitford, Wood, Wing, Wright

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania Birth/Death Louisa Davis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 04:09 BST (UK) »

Birth Certificate, 24 Jan 1920, for Marjorie Jean DAVIS - can you please list all the information on this document.

Is it a transcription, or image of a hand written document?

Consent to adopt - how many pages to this  please?

Order of Adoption - how many pages to this please?

Did Marjorie Jean keep these names after adoption?

Have you researched the origins of the adopting parents?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,  :) 

The Mercury 11 June 1917  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/1076577 
DAVIS In loving memory of a dearly beloved mother, Louisa Davis, WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE June 11,1916 … 
Inserted by her loving husband, Thomas Davis, son and daughters, Ambrose, Louisa, Myrtle and Linda.

https://www.libraries.tas.gov.au/how-to/Pages/Names-Index-content.aspx

I think that that lass, Louisa,ie the daughter of Louisa and Thomas DAVIS, was born in Tasmania in October 1898.  She would have turned 18 in 1916, - have you eliminated that lass from your research?  :D  :D it may not be your lass, but have you eliminated her from your searchings...  :)

You may find that the age for the baby's mum on that 1920 birth is the age that was recorded by the registrar, perhaps more as a guestimate - I am not familiar with Tas BDM admin from that era (or any era) but if it were NSW, even into the 1960s, then I am certain there was NO requirement for the baby's mum or dad to prove their name, age, place of birth - basically in NSW well into the 20th century, the informant (usually mum or dad) when registering a birth only needed to provide the information, (remember not everyone completed their compulsory schooling) 
So, after the clerk had written it all down in the ledger facing the clerk, he would then swing the ledger book around, and likely point to the sprt then perhaps say to mum or dad   'sign here' (even today, people can be asked to 'sign here' or 'swipe here'  and not actually be asked to 'read through this and then if it is correct in every detail, sign here'.  )

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-86p138j2k

Here is the marriage for Thomas and Louisa in 1885

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-44p437j2k

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aaron Pitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the time i have taken to reply, work and family does get a little hectic at times. I can attach the documents to this post if you like. Is that allowed?
Ackers, Adams, Anderson, Atkinson, Baker, Caffrey, Campbell, Cheek, Chilcott, Colwill, Dinan, Dornan, Farckens, Frohwirt, Hanrahan, Harding, Kingston, Lee, Livock, Macnamara, Marheine, Maroney, Massey, Mcnally, Mcquaide, Morrish, Moth, Murphy, Oaten, Pellet, Pitt, Porter, Rice, Rose, Schafer, Smart, Strout, Whitford, Wood, Wing, Wright

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 19 06:01 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the information on the birth certificate. Can you also describe the document.....image of handwritten original, or typed transcription.

Consent to adopt - how many pages to this document.

Order of adoption - how many pages to this document.

I do not know what copyright restrictions might apply to using these adoption documents on a public forum. Someone might be able to advise.

Does the adoption involve an orphanage, or was the matter conducted by a solicitor?

Offline Aaron Pitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have have attached 3 documents that might help. I also have a "Record of birth" but that only has her adoptive parents names on it. Im happy to remove these documents if needed. These seem to be the only documents I have. Im not sure if the adoption involved solicitors

thanks

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 01:28 BST (UK) »

That  adoption documents give good information.

Do you have the birth certificate for Marjorie Jean DAVIS, born 24 Jan 1920. Can you list all the information on it please.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:22 BST (UK) »
Her name was Louisa Davis and 18yo single girl from Burnie Tasmania.

Where is this information from?

Debra  :)

Offline Aaron Pitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 June 19 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry for not replying as frequently as I would like to but time does not always allow me.
I have attached the birth certificate of Marjorie Jean post adoption.
As for the info "Her name was Louisa Davis and 18yo single girl from Burnie Tasmania" I had it on some notes that I had recieved from my dad who was investigating this quite a while ago, but I have just recently found a letter that was written to my dad in relation to Louisa Davis from the Dept. of Health and Human Services in Tasmania. This is where that info must have came from. I have attached this as well. I wish I found this info a while ago it might of helped me a lot sooner.