Author Topic: Identifying a belt buckle  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Rob3Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identifying a belt buckle
« on: Monday 13 May 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I found this place. I found a belt buckle on Ebay, and it's got a complex coat of arms on it. It's quartered, escutcheon-ed, and crowned. Have a look and see if you can tell me the family or families it would "belong" to, or if it was made up completely. I appreciate the assistance, as I was thinking of buying it and cleaning it up/ restoring it. Especially if it is a real coat and it ties back to someone cool. Many thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Brass-Enamel-Coat-of-Arms-Belt-Buckle-possibly-Military-Army-belt-buckle/333193190451?hash=item4d93dc9c33:g:Q2QAAOSwuWJc19m6

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a belt buckle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
It is Bavaria, or one of the nobility from there. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
@ Rob, looks like Bavaria? welcome to Rootschat!

Skoosh.

Offline Rob3Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, gentlemen. I spent about an hour identifying the various parts and trying to find it before I got here. According to Wikipedia it's the coat of arms of Bavaria used from 1835 to 1923. Wikipedia, grain of salt and all of that. Thanks for the prompt responses.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia, grain of salt and all of that.

Speaking as a Wikipedia editor - if you go back to the Wikipedia page, you will see in-line citations and at the bottom all the references. Personally, I would trust Wikipedia for accuracy above any newspaper in the world. 

Regards 

Chas

Offline Rob3Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Chas,

By no means did I mean to disparage wikipedia or it's editors. I myself trust the great Wiki pretty well. Most people just get weirded out by the fact that "anyone can edit it". I'm usually the one to point out the source citations and the fact that you can confirm the validity of those sources yourself.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Chas,

By no means did I mean to disparage wikipedia or it's editors. I myself trust the great Wiki pretty well. Most people just get weirded out by the fact that "anyone can edit it". I'm usually the one to point out the source citations and the fact that you can confirm the validity of those sources yourself.
Hi Rob, 

Yes it is a difficult concept, until people realise that all edits get scrutinised. You would not believe the hours I have spent debating the "Oxford comma", not just once, but every time it crops up.   

Take for example any British newspaper. Written by professionals at the top of their game. Is that newspaper accurate (all of it)?, is it true?, is it believable?, is it pushing a Point Of View? is it biased? does it quote its sources or are they all "a spokesman said".  You see what I mean. But millions of us bring them into our own homes every day, even when we know that it is propaganda. 

Personally, I would like to see more editors - especially from groups like this. We are all experts on something, even if it is only our own town or village.   

Anyway, I wasn't getting at you, or anybody else. Just using a welcome opportunity to expand on Wikipedia. 

Regards 

Chas