Author Topic: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)  (Read 3108 times)

Offline callumneil_mcculloch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)
« on: Monday 13 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my great x 3 grandparent's William McCulloch (b.1827? d. 1900) and Agnes/Mary Holmes (b. 1835? in Ireland? - parents unknown).

William McCulloch's parent's or my great x 3 grandparent's were named as: Father - Robert McCulloch Mother - Margaret Savage.

William McCulloch and Agnes/Mary Holmes were married but she retained her maiden name. I have also been looking for information on their son named as: David Homes McCulloch (b. Ireland 1858
d. 1912 in Glasgow.

William McCulloch also had a second wife named as Rose Ann or Rossanna Fox. I do not know very much about her ancestry other than her parent's may be James/Peter Fox and Jane McKee/McKie.

I have Irish ancestry and the Northern Ireland or Nova Scotia area's are highlighted as places where my ancestors may have come from or emigrated to. Would like to chat to people who may be able to help me find my Irish McCulloch ancestors.

Kind Regards,

Callum McCulloch.
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 19 23:23 BST (UK) »
Possible death on Scotlandspeople, for Rose Ann McCulloch, nee Fox in Partick, Glasgow, 1891 aged 54. GROS ref 646/3  716.

Marriage for Rosanna Fox to Wm McCullough in 1874 in Partick, Glasgow. GROS 646/3 76.
Elwyn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 02:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

It looks as though there may have been quite a few siblings for David going by the gap in ages if I have the correct family in 1881?...

"William McCulloch and Agnes/Mary Holmes were married but she retained her maiden name. I have also been looking for information on their son named as: David Homes McCulloch (b. Ireland 1858
d. 1912 in Glasgow."

What info. do you have on David & what info. are you still looking for...please add all info. you already have with dates/places to save duplication.

"William McCulloch also had a second wife named as Rose Ann or Rossanna Fox. I do not know very much about her ancestry other than her parent's may be James/Peter Fox and Jane McKee/McKie"

Marriage was 29 Apr 1874 which will name both sets of parents, fathers occupations with mothers maiden names as well as witnesses who may be related & it will state whether single/widowed.

William McCulloch 35 yrs (c1846) b Ireland, Labourer in Ship Yard at 56 Centre Street, Partick
Wife Rose 45 yrs (c1836) b Ireland
Son John 9 yrs (c1872) b Ireland

It looks as though the ages were switched round in the census, probably in error?

There's no sign of David who'd be c 23 yrs old...was he married by then?

William McCulloch 64 yrs (c1827) b Ireland, Yard Labourer at 88 George Street, Partick
Wife Rose 53 yrs (c1838) b Ireland
Son John 19 yrs (c1872) b Ireland, Paper Stainer

Can you please list what docs you have for William with age/occ etc. to save duplicating your efforts as his age seems to differ a lot.

Do you have his death which should name both wives if known to the informant?

Is this the death for William...age out on this?...

MCCULLOCH WILLIAM 81 (c1819)
646/3 390 Partick

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
Is this David's marriage?

MCCULLOCH DAVID - YOUNG JESSIE 1877
646/2 179 Partick

If so, what info. is on the marriage & does he use his middle initial/name on children's births as I'm not picking him up with his middle initial/name?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
His middle name is David Holmes McCulloch (b. 1858 location in Ireland unknown (no birth certificate - d. 1912). It is possible he had a younger brother with the same name who died when younger - d. 1851). i have all the certificates each person mentioned below in this forum but do not have birth certificates for his parent's especially his mother.

I am looking for birth certificates for both his father William McCulloch (b. 1827? (DOB is still uncertain)- d. 1900) and his mother Agnes/Mary Holmes (1835? - 1872). I would also be interested in finding out if anyone has proof of birth or death certificates for William's parent's. William's parent's were Margaret Savage and Robert McCulloch - I do not have anything for these individual's.

There is a problem with the details of who Rose Ann or Rossanna Fox's parent's are. One certificate states Peter and Mary Fox (nee Clark) and the other states James and Jane Fox (nee Mckee/McKie?).

David Holmes McCulloch's mother was named as Agnes/Mary Holmes, however; i have no idea who her parent's were. I need some proof to prove ancestry. It would help find possible relatives. I am trying to find a DNA match to help find family members.

I would be interested in talking to possible family member's on Ancestry or by e-mail, but do not want my personal details on this forum.
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth certificates for both his father William McCulloch (b. 1827? (DOB is still uncertain)- d. 1900) and his mother Agnes/Mary Holmes (1835? - 1872)... I would also be interested in finding out if anyone has proof of birth or death certificates for William's parent's. William's parent's were Margaret Savage and Robert McCulloch ...

Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths started in Ireland in 1864. In Scotland in 1855

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Personal detail aren't allowed on this forum so nothing to worry about there, anything personal such as email is exchanged via private messaging.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, unfortunately I am aware of that. I was hoping that someone who matched me via DNA could at least pinpoint where they came from in Ireland so that I could research some churches that could hold some church records. I do know I have a link to Northern Ireland and that my ancestors religion may have belonged to the 1st Presbyterian Church??
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:41 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my great x 3 grandparent's William McCulloch (b.1827? d. 1900) and Agnes/Mary Holmes (b. 1835? in Ireland? - parents unknown).

Could you post the details of this marriage please. Do you have the certificate information?