Author Topic: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 May 19 03:19 BST (UK) »
What is the exact info. on the death cert. for William regarding wives please?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline callumneil_mcculloch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 May 19 03:29 BST (UK) »
1st Wife: Agnes Holmes
2nd Wife: Rose Ann Fox or Anderson
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 May 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
There likely won't be a marriage certificate then, as the Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths started in Ireland in 1864 and in Scotland in 1855

Not quite right. In Ireland non RC marriages were recorded in the statutory registers from 1845. I have searched for a Holmes-McCullough marriage in Ireland 1845 - 1858 but cannot find one. (Nearest was a Mary Holmes – John McCullaugh marriage in Ballymena on 16.3.1865).

Regarding the discrepancies over the women’s names on the marriage and death certificates, mistakes on death certificates are very common. Informants didn’t always have the correct information, especially for items like the deceased’s parents. Given a choice between a marriage certificate and a death certificate the marriage certificate is usually more accurate since the information has come from someone who ought to know their mother’s name.

I also looked for a birth for John McCulloch born c 1872 Ireland with mmn Fox but did not find one.

From her death information, it looks as though Rose Ann Fox was married previously and her maiden name was Anderson. Have you searched for that marriage?

You mention that your ancestors may have been members of the 1st Presbyterian church. Lots of towns in Ireland have more than 1 Presbyterian church so there's dozens of 1st Presbyterians. Any idea which town they may have lived in?
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 May 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
William McCulloch had a second wife called Rosanna Fox. They had a son named John born in Ireland in 1871. They were married in 1874. He would be 46 and she would be 40. He died in 1900 at the age of 81.

If son John was born in 1871 and parents didn't marry until 1874 then it's likely he was registered under mother's present name. Have you tried looking under Fox?
Actually, if you don't have John's birth certificate yet then how do you know that Rosanna and William are his parents? If he was a son of Rosanna's from a previous relationship and was quite young when Rosanna and William married then he might have been raised as their child and thought they were both his parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 May 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
From her death information, it looks as though Rose Ann Fox was married previously and her maiden name was Anderson.

The only marriage pre 1877 in Ireland for a Rosanna Anderson (age 24, father John Anderson) comes up with one in 1866 Belfast but groom is Joseph McCullough (age 27, son of Humphrey).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGDW-WCB
However, she could be Rose, Rose Ann, Rosa Ann, etc. so lots of other possible matches.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 May 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
Another thought. Son John supposed to be born in Ireland so finding his birth registration would give an exact location in Ireland. Have you traced him in ALL possible Scottish census records to see if a more exact place than 'Ireland' is listed? (1911 quite often gives a place)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 May 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
John McCullough born 17 Aug.1871 Ballymacanallen, parents William McCullough (labourer) & Rose Ann formerly Anderson (Lurgan district, Waringstown sub-district)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03278/2201304.pdf

https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-lower-upper-half/tullylish/ballymacanallen/ (civil parish- Tullylish)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 May 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Valuation Revision Books for Ballymacanallen show a Hugh McCullough (house & garden) & Thomas McCullagh (house, offices, garden). In 1878 Hugh's holding is changed to John Montgomery and Thomas' to Archd. P_k (looks like Pink? Park?). Both are listed as Ballymacanallen townland Town of Gilford Portadown Road.
Might be worth looking for McCulloughs (various spellings) in same area of Scotland as William.

Offline callumneil_mcculloch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 May 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate for John McCulloch plus I have spoken to his granddaughter. Haven't been able to source a birth certificate for this individual.

Rosanna or Rose Ann Fox (Fox maiden name) was married to a Robert Anderson but I haven't been able to find a marriage certificate for this. She married William McCulloch after Robert McCulloch.
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox