Author Topic: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)  (Read 3096 times)

Offline callumneil_mcculloch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes/McCulloch/Holmes McCulloch (Irish spelling unknown)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
I do not have a marriage certificate for Agnes/Mary Holmes AND William McCulloch (they were married but she retained her maiden name). No idea where they were married. This is why I haven't been able to find out more details of Agnes/Mary's parent's. Bit of a mystery.

I have (a few others as well) the marriage/death certificates for David Holmes McCulloch/Jessie Young and a death certificate for William McCulloch stated in this forum above.

I would definitely like to speak to people that are my McCulloch family members. There are still some McCulloch descendants related to me living in Scotland (for privacy reasons I will just put X). Some of these descendants who live in X may have the information I'm looking for. However, genealogy isn't easy, it takes someone who understands the subject that can help people find their ancestors. My DNA tests were rather disappointing. They did come up with some family members that gave me some useful information but I have never got past my paternal 4 x grandparents.

Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
Tried to send a screenshot and picture...states it 's too big to attach it below...any ideas??
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:20 BST (UK) »

William McCulloch and Agnes/Mary Holmes were married but she retained her maiden name. I have also been looking for information on their son named as: David Homes McCulloch (b. Ireland 1858
d. 1912 in Glasgow...

...I do not have a marriage certificate for Agnes/Mary Holmes AND William McCulloch

How do you know that David Homes McCulloch (b. Ireland 1858
d. 1912 in Glasgow) is the son of William McCulloch and Agnes/Mary Holmes?

Is the information from David Homes McCulloch's birth certificate? What does Davids birth certificate state?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:32 BST (UK) »
There is no birth certificate for David Holmes McCulloch born in Ireland in 1857 0r 1858??.

Death certificate states that for David Holmes McCulloch who died in 1912 aged 54, his father was William McCulloch and mother Agnes Holmes. However, on his marriage certificate to Jessie Young in 1877 it states that his parent's were William McCulloch and Mary McCulloch (nee Holmes)
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:42 BST (UK) »
There likely won't be a marriage certificate then, as the Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths started in Ireland in 1864 and in Scotland in 1855

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 May 19 01:48 BST (UK) »
I think I will have to go back to my DNA results. They were VERY disappointing. Left more questions than answers. Anyway, thanks for your time,

Cheers,

Callum.
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 19 02:28 BST (UK) »
 Elwyn Soutter and Rosinish have both given some good information from records, posted earlier in the topic. 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 May 19 03:04 BST (UK) »
Yes I have most of the certificates they mentioned, it's always interesting chatting to other people to see if they have something you missed. The details do change a little bit on the certificates so it's a bit confusing when trying to find records on Genealogy sites.

William McCulloch had a second wife called Rosanna Fox. They had a son named John born in Ireland in 1871. They were married in 1874. He would be 46 and she would be 40. He died in 1900 at the age of 81.
Holmes,
McCulloch,
Holmes McCulloch,
Fox

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 May 19 03:14 BST (UK) »
"William McCulloch had a second wife called Rosanna Fox"

As you have no birth/baptism for William, no marriage to 'supposed' 1st wife Agnes/Mary then the 2nd marriage is a must as it's William giving 1st hand info...unlike his death cert. which is info. from someone other than himself i.e. may not match the info. given by William which should state whether he was widowed/single & witnesses may help too but it will/should also state whether his parents are alive/deceased?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"