Author Topic: James Porter born 1833 Shropshire  (Read 1303 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Porter born 1833 Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 13:18 BST (UK) »

If he married in 1860, and his last child was born in 1874......family of thirteen?...

If you do not see his wife, Annie, after 1874....who brought up the children.

I know that you want to find James PORTER in Shropshire, but a forum needs as much information as you have about his life in Australia.

What church did he marry in...who are the witnesses.

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
I am sorry I cant remember how to reply direct to those helping here, it is wuite a while since I was on RootsChat and things have changed. I am now in my 80's and my eyesight is not good. I would just like to get back to UK with the Porter branch of the family to give to my grandchildren to continue the searching. Thank you all.
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe, James and Ann's eldest daughter Helen (Ellen) cared for his children, then his second wife Elizabeth who bore him more children. they had 5 children only 2 survived, John and Linda Lillian. Robert died 1906 2 days after his father. Another son died in France WW1.William Henry age 21. Another daughter died 1909. My gr grandmother was brought up catholic.

My cousin and I spent several days in Wagga a few years ago, looking at newspaper records,and going through the Wagga Wagga  cemetery, found a few more details of how James had his own brick making business near the bank of the river and built his own house, some of the buildings he worked on etc. But no detailed records. Elizabeth died as Elizabeth Porter in a Sydney suburb.
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland