Author Topic: Lane Upperthong?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Upperthong?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Lane was a area also in Holmfirth and their is Lane Chapel.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 08:57 BST (UK) »
Lane was a area also in Holmfirth

That will be the same place that I located in reply #5   In 1861 Upperthong Parish consisted of two sub-registration districts, Holmfirth and Newmill.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Lane is also the name of the small hamlet just beyond Holme village in the diredtion of Holme Moss. A bit far from Upperthong, though.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
Though there are lots of lanes as  pronounced "a Lane" -- in the singular place of Lane - locally its spoken or pronounced 'Lann' (Sound like ' LYNE ' )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
The thing which I always find fascinating is how in the Holme Valley ( and no doubt elsewhere) even the smallest area can have its own name.
I particularly like as an example the main road from Huddersfield up the valley all the way to Holme:
Chapel Hill, Folly Hall, Rashcliffe, Lockwood Bar, Lockwood Bridge, Salford, Viaduct, Berry Brow, Hangingstones, Alpine, Far Reins, Reins, Honley Newtown, Honley Bridge, Jacobs Well, Banks, Far Banks, Smithy Place, Hagg Wood, Thongsbridge,( name of the garage that used to be there, can't recall), Elmwood, Sands, Mills Bridge, Tech, Holmfirth, Upper Bridge, Prickleden?, Victoria, ....... need to just check. Will continue.
Any additions from anyone?

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 May 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
So, just picking up again.
From Thongsbridge:
Thongsbridge, Fearnought, Elmwood, Sands, Mills Bridge, (tthe last 5 within a half mile stretch!) Tech, Holmfirth, Upper Bridge, Pricklden, Victoria, Bottoms, Burnlea, Flushouses, Hinchliffe Mill, Holmbridge.
Now this is the one I don't know - place names on the long uphill stretch from Holmbridge to Holme village.
Then Holme, Lane, Holme Moss.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
So, just picking up again.
From Thongsbridge:
Thongsbridge, Fearnought, Elmwood, Sands, Mills Bridge, (tthe last 5 within a half mile stretch!) Tech, Holmfirth, Upper Bridge, Pricklden, Victoria, Bottoms, Burnlea, Flushouses, Hinchliffe Mill, Holmbridge.
Now this is the one I don't know - place names on the long uphill stretch from Holmbridge to Holme village.
Then Holme, Lane, Holme Moss.

Holme Moss summit (at Ramsden Head) and there about 10 yards where rain water flows into Yorkshire from  Derbyshire before the rain water flows South.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100949156
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth