Author Topic: Outboard ships from Australia.  (Read 2514 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Outboard ships from Australia.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
The merchant navy record has been found before: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648481.msg5403080#msg5403080

There are several previous threads on this family.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
The merchant navy record has been found before: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648481.msg5403080#msg5403080

There are several previous threads on this family.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is relevant information in them.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
I am on ereader,  cannot do live links,  but on blake1 thread back on Australia board in 2014,  one of the most experienced Australian researchers helped our OP on this same question,  confirming that there are no passenger lists for voyages from Sout Australia to  England to get the family back to England.  I am sure that that research provided just five years or so ago, by Cando,  would have been undertaken using her own resources and not reliant on commercial websites...  I am at a loss to understand why this new thread is on the beginners board ...

PS,  gold fever cannot occur until after the news of gold discovery has reached the broader communities.  Gold discovered in NSW and Vic colonies mid 1851.  Rushes need shiploads of migrants,  so a person arriving in South Australia prior to discovery of gold cannot have been motivated to migrate by chasing gold ... perhaps a reason for migration to S.A. could be to start a life in a newly established convict free society....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry, It's not Arthur Blake... but James Bradley... Dyslexia strikes again, I usually get someone to look over things as letters tumble!! 

I have tried to keep this inquiry separate from the first as I am only trying to establish a coming together of the two families in the UK around the 1860's... so it's only the year of the return that I'm looking for!!
I have searched the previous threads that folk have Kindly given me to no avail... just hoping some new records might have been released.

Again thank you for any help and so sorry for the confusion.
P.S. Arthur Blake is even more of a challenge.  ::)
blake, kent   bradley,devon & surrey

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am on my work puter,  here is the thread that I mentioned

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705661.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:29 BST (UK) »
Here is the RChat Resources Board for Australia,  there are separate sub-boards for each of the former colonies including South Australia.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

The database for South Australian bdms is here:
https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

South Australian Government website with direct link to their family history statement of October 2018, updated March 2019

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/family-and-community/births-deaths-and-marriages/family-research

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
https://archives.sa.gov.au/passenger-lists-view

this link should get you to the shipping arrivals to South Australia, and thus the names of the ships.  Those ships had return voyages, and while I am sure you are seeking the names of the passengers on those return voyages, I doubt those early 1850s manifests would be held in South Australia.

I am aware that for example, New South Wales outward passenger lists were not retained for that era, and were basically not retained in NSW for much of the 19th century.  Likely they were part of the ships' manifests accompanying the ship throughout the voyage, - mess lists, surgeon lists, stewards' list etc...

Once convictism had ceased to NSW (so from 1840s) there was no real administrative need to know the names of those leaving.  The important information was simply the statistical nett figure.   South Australia was not set up as a penal colony, so they would not have needed to keep close detailed lists of outward passengers.   Victoria was established in 1851, and of course Tasmania was still a penal colony at that time, and the sailing time to Tasmania from Melbourne was much shorter than to any of the ports in South Australia or New South Wales or New Zealand.   So there likely needed to be a much closer administrative watch on the names of passengers in and out of Melbourne. 

JM

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
I had a family went to Oz, husband died and wife and children found on Ships arriving Southampton

Maybe there are no passenger lists for voyages from South Australia to  England but there are Manifests of people arriving Southampton from Oz.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 01:23 BST (UK) »
So perhaps best if Blake1 searches in England for possible records there  :D 

The sighting of the lass with her parents on the 1861 census should be sufficient evidence to confirm the parents returned to England, and at some short time frame between when the lass was born and when the next child was born in England.   I would not expect any reliable family history group to doubt the validity of that or to demand the name of the ship of arrival into England. 

JM  ADD or any UK census showing her place of birth leading back to South Australia...  :D