Author Topic: Identifying uniform and/or lady  (Read 417 times)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying uniform and/or lady
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 May 19 06:20 BST (UK) »
The photo is of two US Navy sailors not marines.  The "sergeant" is a petty officer (the upper badges), the lower badges are service stripes.  How one of the sailors can be the army boxing champion is beyond me!

MaxD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_enlisted_rates#/media/File:Five_US_Navy_petty_officers_in_uniform.jpg
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 May 19 06:45 BST (UK) »
The photo is of two US Navy sailors not marines.  The "sergeant" is a petty officer (the upper badges), the lower badges are service stripes.  How one of the sailors can be the army boxing champion is beyond me!

MaxD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_enlisted_rates#/media/File:Five_US_Navy_petty_officers_in_uniform.jpg
If you look at the rear of the photo it doesn't look like the last word is 'army'. It looks more like 'Qmary' or the nane of a ship. I tried making out the word but couldn't.  I'm pretty confident it's not 'army', though.

Also, it looks like what I thought was 'navy now' says 'many now'. The first word has been written over at a later date with another word that's the same length but in different pen.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 May 19 06:47 BST (UK) »

MaxD

Also would these mistakes in the writing mean that the writing was done by someone who wasn't American as they'd not call them marines  (as well as Yanks)?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 May 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Your reply @ #17 is great Ben - I think that their story would make a great TV series, including your finds of photographs of many unknown women.  :)

Added: I wonder if the writing on the back of the photo is intended to be a joke?

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 May 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
Your reply @ #17 is great Ben - I think that their story would make a great TV series, including your finds of photographs of many unknown women.  :)

Added: I wonder if the writing on the back of the photo is intended to be a joke?
Oh that's only the start of it. There's a great story about his escapades with his shiny Christmas pudding!

My girlfriend thought it could have been a joke, but even so, how did it end up in a collection of photos with my family who had no connection to any Americans during WWII?

Could you make a guess at what the last word on the back says?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 May 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
How one of the sailors can be the army boxing champion is beyond me!

What if he was British, a British Army boxing champion in the 1920's or 1930's who subsequently emigrated to the US and joined the US Marines?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 May 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
What if he was British, a British Army boxing champion in the 1920's or 1930's who subsequently emigrated to the US and joined the US Marines?

Marines who dressed up as sailors for a photograph?  Time for me to de-notify this topic.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 May 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
I originally thought the last word might be "Army" but there is an extra squiggle in the word, so I am not sure that is right (or makes sense).