Author Topic: Identifying uniform and/or lady  (Read 2158 times)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying uniform and/or lady
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 19:25 BST (UK) »
Here are the other two photos of the lady. There's no writing on the back of te photos but one is in a (broken) sleeve so it seems she was important to one of my relatives at some point. She doesn't look like any of my family that I'm aware of. The closest could be my great grandma's half-sister but they never got on and she'd only be 25 by the time war ended. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself that it's a relative. My great granddad was a ladies man apparently and there's loads of photos with writing on the back with his first and last date with the lady in question. Maybe she's  one of the ladies.

https://ibb.co/dWZYcGy

https://ibb.co/KL5S9Hk

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
Near the hand of the lady on the first photo, very slightly, there's the stamp of the photography studio.

It's 55 New Street, Huddersfield. Greaves Studios.

We've spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the address. This poses another issue. We've no connection to anyone in Huddersfield.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
In the service she may well have been stationed there so I don't think you should attach any importance to no connection.

MaxD

PS How about the pics with other uniforms?
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
MaxD

PS How about the pics with other uniforms?
I will take a look for the other photos. The box has about 500 photos in and I'm very slowly trying to sort them. I was thinking of starting a thread and adding a new photo I need info on, but that may get boring.

There's one I have to hand that says on the back:

Yank Marines
We've joined the Navy now
On the right is
Boy Mills
Late heavy weight
Champion of the .... (army maybe)

And it shows one sergeant. Both of them are in navy uniforms.

I'll upload the photo now.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Could be Freddie Mills perhaps, once Light Heavyweight World Champion? Served in the RAF in WW2.

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:12 BST (UK) »

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Could be Freddie Mills perhaps, once Light Heavyweight World Champion? Served in the RAF in WW2.

Imber
From using Google, it doesn't look like him.

From my very limited knowledge, these two men would be American?

Sorry I can be of no help.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
My first thought is that she may have been someone's sweetheart, so interesting that you say grgrandad was a ladies' man.  ;)

In my opinion, if you have more photos you need identified, it would be better to start a new thread/s.

If you have similar photos you can probably group them together but I am not sure it is a good idea add 'Yank marines' to this thread.  ;) Alternatively, you can rename the subject heading to cover identification of other photos as well.

One of the sailors might have been grgrandmother's sweetheart?  ;D

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 May 19 06:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, maybe you're right. I'll ask a mod to split the threads if posdible.

A bit of back story on my great granddad: he was engaged to a woman for year but always delayed the wedding. My great grandma said he really loved this woman, and there's lots of photos of her in this collection. But at this time there's also photos of other women, from Blackpool  (with her address on the back in his writing), the Isle of Man with him in them, a lot of women from Leeds with 'to Wilf, all my kindest love, Doris' as well as another half dozen names on photos. My great grandma always referred to these as my great granddad's 'floozies'. The lady he was engaged to then left him and he married a woman he'd only briefly dated on the 'rebound'. He then went to war in '39 and came back on leave to find his wife had left their two year old son with her parents and she ran off with a soldier (we were told an American soldier but he was from Lincolnshire). They got a divorce after the war and he married my great grandma, who had also been married, and had a child, but her husband suffered during the war and didn't cope well after it ended. My great granddad's first wife died the day that her first grandson (who she wouldn't have known was due as she never saw her son again) was born and my great granddad went to the funeral as 'she was still my first wife and she graced me with a child'. He wrote on a bouquet of flowers 'from Wilf and Paul' and later said everyone knew who he was but nobody said anything to her new husband or the younger family.

I'm hoping he wasn't the 'ladies man' when he met my great grandma.

-------

The Yank photo really baffles as there's no Americans in the family and I don't know why someone would send their photo to a relative of mine.

Sorry for the rambling, long, post.