Author Topic: Arriving in Georgia 1904 whats the more direct route from Europe  (Read 498 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Arriving in Georgia 1904 whats the more direct route from Europe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 May 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
believe the Wales bit was a story.....perhaps he was waylaid there. Maybe it was easier to say Barry than some great long unpronounceable thing. I will say DNA shows the Baltics and Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian.

1. Why wouldn't he just say London, or Cardiff? He consistently said Barry Docks, Wales.

2. DNA doesn't lie. Michael's father could have been  a Norwegian national living in Wales, maybe just for a few years, had a son whose birth he didn't bother to register because Wales was a foreign country to him, and moved on or returned to Norway.

Therefore, I think you should follow back this man, Abraham Reim, b Bergen, Norway, who lived and died in Cardiff. Lived near the docks and seems to have an occupation involved with trade. Maybe he found Adrian a job in Barry Docks doing the same thing.

--------
at 11 Stuart Street
Civil Parish: Cardiff St Mary, Glamorgan, Wales
Abraham Rein, 33, born in Bergen, Norway, a representative clerk

1891 25 Allerton St, Cardiff
Abraham, a commercial agent

1901 27 Allerton St
Abraham, a commission agent

Abraham Burrensundt Rein died September Quarter 1904, Cardiff, age 57
Cambridgeshire: Billups, Cropley; Derbyshire: Jenkinson, Gratton; Co Down: O'Rourke, Rodgers, Cunningham

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
I am inclined to believe the 1911 Canada Census re: Grdad's entry to Canada which he says was 1906...which is onlya period of 6 yrs later re: his St John NB  entry; rather than the 1921 record relying on memory (of ca 15 yrs later), / SS Onslow ship mentioned/ I post these queries which seem similar at times as the years pass more information is available or someone new has more ideas. His occupation is listered a Steward on the 1904 Marriage Registration to Bushen and says that  Adrianoff Riim is his father (deceased) I do know that Barry Wales was a seagoing port of importance with Ships coming in from the Baltics and also went to America. Now to have a family member with the Abraham Reim line doing a DNA. Still and all if a passenger list could be located for my grandad entering the USA in October 1904 one never knows what scrap of information may be on it. Thanks again oldohiohome for your time.
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon JOYCE/HOUSTON John/Isabella ELIZ/ARMSTRONG /Wm Valentine + Hannah Johnstone MILLER aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID + Eliz M'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/TEMPLETON/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget b ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK IOM Wales, Barry ISL= REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/ Michal =Arthur/Mary/Mildred / /MEREDITH/ TRAV*S/GARNETT/VON Stiegler/VON STIEGLITZ

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 19 19:56 BST (UK) »
Was he a steward on the ship coming over, maybe. I don't know how that would affect your search. I know he wouldn't have shown up on the regular Ellis Island manifests, but sometimes I have run into lists of crews, I just don't remember when.

Try Googling to see who ran passenger or even cargo lines from Cardiff to St Johns or to Savannah. You might be looking for off line records somewhere. I haven't seen him turn up anywhere except in the records you already have in Canada and New England.
Cambridgeshire: Billups, Cropley; Derbyshire: Jenkinson, Gratton; Co Down: O'Rourke, Rodgers, Cunningham