Author Topic: Arriving in Georgia 1904 whats the more direct route from Europe  (Read 1156 times)

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arriving in Georgia 1904 whats the more direct route from Europe
« on: Tuesday 14 May 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
Question   if a person arrived  in Georgia (Savannah maybe) where would the most obvious route by ship  be in ca 1904 from Europe

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arriving in Georgia 1904 whats the more direct route from Europe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 21:47 BST (UK) »
This might help.

Look under "Other Ports"

https://www.germanroots.com/passengers.html

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
and wouldn't it depend on where in Europe you were coming from and whether there were passenger shipping lines from there into Savannah?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
A bit early but England to Georgia did happen.

https://www.immigrantships.net/v2/1700v2/ann17330201.html

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:55 BST (UK) »
Robert Louis Stevenson's "An Amateur Emigrant!" autobiog' tale of the voyage from the Clyde to Sandy Hook in 1895 on an emigrant ship. Read it online!

Skoosh.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 13:00 BST (UK) »
After sorting through all the previous topics on this man (it got so that I would just google "site:rootschat.com reim montreal wales ... " rather than weave through all the interlinking,

well after all that, I see where you are going with this current question, I think:

"If he arrived at Savannah, what boat did he get off and where did it come from, so I can know where to look in Europe for him?" Correct?

I don't think that is the way to go. All roads for him, no matter how they weave, lead back to Wales, from what I can see.

-----
There is another Pre-Examination of Aliens in Canada record for him that says he arrived in St John's, New Brunswick, in October, 1905:

Michael Reims, 37, butcher and grocer 353 Victoria Ave, Montreal, nationality: Canadian. last residence: 351 Victoria, nearest relative in Canada: wife Elizabeth. destination: Old Orchard, Maine.
born Parydock, South Wales, landed at St Johns New Brunswick, October 1905, brown hair, blue eyes, 5'4 1/2", 128 lbs.

dated January 11, 1921

p 2 going to Old Orchard Beach for season
list of wife and children on page 2.
Wife Elizabeth, Irish, landed New York, September 1904 on the Anchoria, in transit to Canada

-----
Maybe he travelled back and forth a lot, or maybe he told stories. or both.

-----
I think you can throw out the "SS Onslow" because I googled and found no reference to it. only the HMS Onslow which was a warship that first sailed in 1916 (if I remember right).

-----
Canadian arrivals are harder to find than even Savannah. I don't think you will find him there.

-----
Did passenger ships arrive in Savannah before 1906, when the records are extant? Probably the answer is "of course" but the records are lost or hiding somewhere, or, at best, off line.

Did you ever get the marriage certificate for:
marriage June qtr 1904 Cardiff vol 11a page 584 or page 594 for Micheal Adrian Riim and Hilda Mary Bushen.

Could it be your greatgrandfather, not your grandfather? Legalizing it late in life, or remarrying her or whatever. Do you know when Adrian died, other than before 1 February 1909, when Michael Edward married?

-----
Why can't that family from Norway be his/yours? 

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 13:15 BST (UK) »
a few more thoughts. Did Michael Adrian die between the 1904 marriage

June qtr 1904 Cardiff vol 11a page 584 or page 594 for Micheal Adrian Riim and Hilda Mary Bushen

and Hilda Mary's marriage at the end of 1906 to Thomas John Hurley
December Qtr 1906  volume 11a page 688

-----
Wasn't the man from Norway named Abraham? Could Abraham and Adrian be the same man? Misheard by the record keeper? Just a guess. Have you ever seen them in the same place at the same time? 

Sorry to be vague about Abraham from Norway's details, but I didn't hunt down the thread this time.

At any rate, you have an exact place of birth for your grandfather, his parents' names, and a narrow range of years. All in Wales.

Some of the family must turn up in 1881-1901 censuses, BMDs, etc.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you RJ137 and barryd as well as skoosh.

Now Aghadowy.....after much searching in Wales for more than 20 years with no BMD success many of our Family believe the
Wales bit was a story.....perhaps he was waylaid there. Maybe it was easier to say Barry than some great long unpronounceable thing. I will say DNA shows the Baltics and Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian.
He died in 1924.Hoping that his real story hasnt died with him.1911 Census says he spoke German.
He also says that he was in Georgia prior to coming to Quebec.

oldohiohome   I've thought about the RIIM/Bushen.......I've seen the parish record of the Marriage.
Has his age at 21 and hers 18. I tried to check for an annulment. Thanks for taking the time to comment.