Author Topic: A 1930's scam.  (Read 330 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: A 1930's scam.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Yep Minniehaha.

Was skip reading again, through threads before bed.

Out of curiosity went looking in the Northern papers, and particularly thinking of the OBSERVER & NZ TRUTH, however the Observer had ceased publishing by the dates you mentioned.

Pace of life was much slower then, snail mail and no www linked to cell phones. Considering the number of some of the regular adds, I think "club" and "League" in most cases were just window dressing used by commercial enterprise. Some of it possibly pretty seedy, with ulterior motives.

No accounts of annual meetings etc, if a club or league.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: A 1930's scam.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 19 12:04 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

Still going under different names my father in law got sucked in beautifully.

Cheers Janette
[/quote]

I know of several involving very obliging south east Asians, who turned out to have ulterior motives, even though they had been warmly welcomed, and recieved, by their NEW exended NZ family.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.