Author Topic: Blyth Scandinavian records  (Read 2347 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blyth Scandinavian records
« on: Wednesday 15 May 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any historical records relating to Scandinavian families living in Blyth in the 1800s? I have a Scandinavian connection  through my great grandmother and I've never been able to find out anything more about this line of the family.  Ive recently been in touch with an Australian DNA match who also has family connections to Blyth and has ancestors originating in Denmark. 

It makes me think that there must have been a prominent Scandinavian presence in Blyth in the 1800s especially with the  size of the port.  Would there be any local records relating to any of these families?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Scandinavian records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:20 BST (UK) »
There was a Shetland presence in most NE England ports which might explain the names & the DNA.

Skoosh.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
I'm from Blyth. I think there's a thread on here about the Missions to Seamen hostel in Blyth - I believe it was started by a Scandinavian.
There was a lot of sea trading between Scandinavia and Blyth, timber for pit props etc.
My GGGrandfather was master on 2 ships doing the journey regularly.
Another connection, I've looked up our family name, Knott, and one idea is that it came from the Scandinavian name Knut.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your responses. 

The DNA match is a recent match on a Northumberland line,  her great great grandmother married a Danish butcher.

My great grandmother married a Scandinavian sailor who I assumed was Norwegian but not being able to find any census returns for him I'm not so sure now.

Both her great great grandmother and my great grandmother were born and lived in Blyth.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
MaryThorn,  The advice I can give is "keep digging" on the web. I was searching for a distant relative who originated from Denmark in the 1850s, and came to the North East (Blyth) Through searching on Roots - Europe Section, I found the Danish site www.ddd.dda.dk  and from there I found the information I required.  I was interested in the surname 'Ravneberg' , and found that 20% of them were in Denmark, but the other 80% were in Norway.
An acquaintance from South Shields doing his research, traced some ancestors back to Norway.
Best of luck.

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 19 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that pityackafromblyth.

Doesn't appear my person is from Denmark having gone through the Danish records site, I can't find any record of him so I'll have to hunt out Norweigan records and see if there is any trace there.

Never found him on any passenger lists either but as a fisherman it makes me think he came into the port as crew.

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Thorn
If you prefer I can take a look for you in Denmark and Norway or even Sweden. I know how to get through the church books in these countries.
I live in Sweden which can help in any language barriers etc...

If so please reply with names and dates.

Regards
Ian

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 19 12:46 BST (UK) »
Wow, Ian that would be fantastic .  I only have very sketchy information at the moment.

I'm trying to find details of my Great Grandmothers first husband.  In online marriage records,in 1903 he is listed as Charles Basberg. In newspaper reports into his death and the inquest that followed in 1905 he is listed as Charles Soren Olas Basberg and is listed as being 25 at his death.

My Great grandmother gave birth after he died and the child had the middle name of Sorenia so I'm pretty sure the Soren as listed at death is correct.

I ordered their marriage certificate yesterday which I hope will give me more information such as his father's name.  Have Never located him on an English census return so unable to confirm country of birth.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 May 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
This one could be worth a look: Søren Olaus Basberg born in Norway in 1881. He could have added the Charles just to have a more English name when he moved here.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7TQ-D13
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn