Author Topic: George WESTLEY Exile Convict to Australia on the Thomas Arbuthnot 1847  (Read 2085 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: George WESTLEY Exile Convict to Australia on the Thomas Arbuthnot 1847
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 19 08:29 BST (UK) »
I still think it is worth you visiting the NSW archives when you have time Lyn.   I didn't have much spare time - I had a lot of other records to photograph.   You may get different members of staff - they all have different areas of expertise - and may give different advice or hints.  adding :   And I took everything at face value and didn't have time to ask more probing questions.

Ros. 

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 May 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
An enormous thank you for taking time to think of my query while you were there.  It really is appreciated.  The snippets and suggestions made by you and JM have helped me piece a tiny bit more together for George Westley.  I have emailed a request to Ask the Librarian and will keep you posted.  May have found his death in the same NSW Government Gazette Index 1832-63 (findmypast) - 17 Aug 1865 Will/Administration but need to find the death to be absolutely sure.
I will make the effort to visit in person in the next couple of months.  About six hours south of Sydney so will need to have all my ducks in a row before proceeding.
George is one of three brothers convicted and transported to Australia.  The other two Samuel and John went to Tasmania under the probation system.  John and George were convicted together but George managed to come as an exile to Port Phillip.
Thanks again everyone
Lyn
Current active interests.
Evans from Wales and Cornwall, Barnes (Barns), Mildren, Lory, from Cornwall.  Families migrated to Australia - Evans, Mildren between 1830-1860's.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 May 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
The George Westley mentioned in the Gazette in August 1865 is the farmer in Dungog.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225251326

I haven't been able to trace the 1852 Gazette item.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 May 19 03:11 BST (UK) »
There is a flaw in FindMyPast’s index.  The actual Gazette with the notice is Issue 64, for Tuesday 22 June 1852.   (FindMyPast has transcribed the date for the notice, rather than the date of the publication !) 

Page 990, page 991
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/12733470
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/12733471

The Tickets of Leave of the undermentioned Prisoners of the Crown have been cancelled under the recommendation of the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Darling Downs, in consequence of the parties being absent from their District:-

(A lengthy list follows, with the Ticket of Leave holders’ given name, surname, ship of arrival)

…..
George Westley, Randolph
……
J MCLEAN, Principal Superintendent of Convict’s Office,  18th June, 1852.

So may I mention that on the convict ship ‘Randolph’ there was a chap named as George WESLEY.   His Ticket of Leave shows he had been tried at Halifax, a Court Martial.  Yes, that’s Halifax, Nova Scotia.   Trial 21 August 1847,  sentence of 7 years.    His ToL of 15 Oct 1850 (50/563) replaced the one # 49/609.   The 1850 ToL allowed him to remain in the service of  G V J GAMMIE, Darling Downs, for 12 months.  Recommended by the Commissioner of Crown Lands, (at) D. Downs.  28 June 1850.    It was replaced by 50/2082.    There was at least one other chap on that Randolph voyage who had also been tried by that Court Martial at Halifax.   Many on that voyage were tried at Courts Martial from : Barbados, New Brunswick, Jamaica, Bury, Portman, Jersey … 

I think, on balance, the NSW GG is a typo, and is not our OPs George Westley.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thanks for all that.  I agree that the information uncovered in the Gazettes so far for the Darling Downs refer to the convict George Wesley of the Randolph and not my George Westley of the Thomas Arbuthnot.  Guess I will just keep turning over stones until I get a hit.

It is a bit weird the George Westley's brother John in Tasmania changed his surname from Westley to Wesley on his marriage once he was a free man.

Again many thanks for your input.
Regards
Lyn
Current active interests.
Evans from Wales and Cornwall, Barnes (Barns), Mildren, Lory, from Cornwall.  Families migrated to Australia - Evans, Mildren between 1830-1860's.