Author Topic: George WESTLEY Exile Convict to Australia on the Thomas Arbuthnot 1847  (Read 2083 times)

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
Looking for any information on the following convict.
George Westley born in Sawley Derbyshire to Benjamin and Ann Westley in 1829.
George was convicted with his brother John.  Did time at Pentonville Prison.  Hawker and Shoemaker. On the Thomas Arbuthnot for Port Phillip arriving on 4th May 1847.

From there he seems to just disappear.  I have searched everything I can think of to get a lead on his life in Australia but nothing.  His brother John  ended up in Tasmania but I cannot find George.

Does anyone have any ideas where to search next?

Lyn
Current active interests.
Evans from Wales and Cornwall, Barnes (Barns), Mildren, Lory, from Cornwall.  Families migrated to Australia - Evans, Mildren between 1830-1860's.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George WESTLEY Exile Convict to Australia on the Thomas Arbuthnot 1847
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the item on FindMyPast transcribed from the Government Gazette indexes? Possibly places him in Darling Downs, Queensland in 1852.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 23:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had uncovered that information and believe it may be the same George Westley but that is the end of the trail.
Regards
Lyn
Evans from Wales and Cornwall, Barnes (Barns), Mildren, Lory, from Cornwall.  Families migrated to Australia - Evans, Mildren between 1830-1860's.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
Queensland was not hived off from NSW until 1859, so have you searched the NSW Government Gazettes available online at Trove ... free to search  :D

https://trove.nla.gov.au/  and then to
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/gazette?q=

and have you checked NSW State Archives ?  The Exiles index there does not display his Ticket of Leave District. 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/keyname-search

and have you contacted RChatter BAC3? https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=20929  He is actively researching many of the Exile lads.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for the references provided.  Nothing more uncovered so far.  Will probably need to organise a visit to Sydney and book a reading room session to discover anything further.  Will keep searching in the meantime.

I really appreciate the Rootschat site, particularly when I have exhausted my own research ideas.  It is great of so many people to happily share information and tips.

Regards
Lyn

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 May 19 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn,
   Here is the snip about George WESTLEY from the book Convicts of Port Phillip District by Keith M Clarke.

The  NSW archives office has very little about the earlier exiles - just the index which is online
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/searchhits_nocopy?keyname_search=westley&id=20

And it has
Also included is a list of 90 boys embarked from Parkhurst Prison on board the convict ship "Thomas Arbuthnot" for Port Phillip 11 January 1847 (name, age, trade, disposition and character).

(4/4546; microfilm copy SR Reel 706). 1 vol.

There is information at Mitchell Library - disposal of exiles from Darling Downs   A 1764.  You could use the ask a Librarian service http://www.nfhs.org.au/index.html#Research_Requests

Ros

adding : I was at archvies office today and had a quick look at reel 706 and found a list of those on board the Thomas Arbothnot in 1874 1847 but the information was much the same as in the book (from which I posted the snip) except that it didn't say he was disposed to Melbourne.   By the way you need to scroll horizontally along the snip. :)  )
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 19 06:30 BST (UK) »
adding : I was at archvies office today and had a quick look at reel 706 and found a list of those on board the Thomas Arbothnot in 1874 but the information was much the same as in the book (from which I posted the snip) except that it didn't say he was disposed to Melbourne.   By the way you need to scroll horizontally along the snip. :)  )

1874 ...   tis just a typo.  1847

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 19 06:35 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the item on FindMyPast transcribed from the Government Gazette indexes? Possibly places him in Darling Downs, Queensland in 1852.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convict-exiles-index

:) Record series in the index: NRS 12202, NRS 12223, NRS 12192 (indexed by staff),
 :) Surgeon Superintendent's Journals (PRO Reels 3187, 3197, 3205, 3208),   
 :) Returns of Exiles employed at Darling Downs 1850-52 (Mitchell Library, A1764; CY789)

JM

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 19 07:36 BST (UK) »
Yes it was a typo JM, I will correct it.

UnFortunately  the other records in NSW archives apply to exiles who arrived AFTER 1850 - the staff assured me.  Only reel 706 was relevant to an exile who arrived before then.

I did mention that disposals of exiles from Darling Downs was available at Mitchell Library and that Lyn could use the ask a librarian service. 

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland