Author Topic: History of house in Glossop  (Read 2720 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of house in Glossop
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
8 Pike's Lane is in the 1871 Census. RG10; Piece: 3643; Folio: 25; Page: 42
Joshua Andrew   45 Overlocker of Power Looms
Ellen Andrew   42 Housekeeper
Noah Andrew   16 Warehouseman
Walter Andrew   14 Paper Finisher
Mary Andrew   6
Albert Andrew   3

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
1912 Directory:

Taylor, Robert, insurance agent

http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/tradedir/dir1912.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
The land on which number 8 Pikes Lane is built (and numbers 4 and 6) was leased on 15th January 1872 by Isaac Hadfield of Whitfield, Gentleman, to John Edward Batty of Pikes Lane, Glossop, Tin plate worker.
It was a lease "of a plot of land situate at Whitfield in the parish of Glossop in the county of Derby for building upon.
To the north, being 89 ft 8 ins by John Edward Batty's Leasehold.
To the east, being 24 feet by John Street.
To the south, being unmarked (but looks same as north) by Ground intended to be demised by Mr Isaac Hadfield to Tom Bradbury.
To the west, being 27 ft 7 ins by Land belonging to M. E. Hadfield Esq.
In total, the plot comprises 252 square yards.".

The ground rent for the whole plot was (still is) £1 11s 6d per annum.

Isaac Hadfield was my great great grandfather.
The freehold ownership of the land stayed in the family until I sold it about 9 years ago.

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
8 Pike's Lane is in the 1871 Census. RG10; Piece: 3643; Folio: 25; Page: 42
Joshua Andrew   45 Overlocker of Power Looms
Ellen Andrew   42 Housekeeper
Noah Andrew   16 Warehouseman
Walter Andrew   14 Paper Finisher
Mary Andrew   6
Albert Andrew   3

Stan
I think house numbers may have changed since then. The original lease has a date of 1871 but that has been crossed out and changed to 1872.

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the posts, we really are enjoying the history of this old house, wonderful.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
May be worth asking the conveyancing solicitor if there are any documents in the deeds. Years ago our solicitors contacted us to ask if we wanted a folder of old documents from our deeds. They were clearing filing cabinets and the documents were no longer relevant. The documents started with deeds for the land, planning for the terrace of six houses and mortgage documents for all the previous owners who had since died. It was fascinating reading & we left the folder with the new owners when we sold up
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 19 07:10 BST (UK) »
I was a bit short of time yesterday so I've had another look at the original lease deeds (some of which I was able to retain possession of when I sold the land). I also had a nagging memory about that particular plot.
The land on which numbers 4, 6 and 8 Pikes Lane are built were originally leased by my 3 x great grandfather, John Hadfield, to a John Chappell on 1st April 1856. For some reason the lease must have been surrendered and was re-leased in 1872 to John Batty (who is recorded as living in number 4 in 1871). The annual ground rent in 1856 was £2 1s 6d, the difference presumably explained by the fact that the 1872 lease covered a slightly smaller plot of land:
Mr John Hadfield to Mr John Chappell - Counterpart Lease.
Counterpart Lease of a plot of land situate at Whitfield in the parish of Glossop in the county of Derby for building upon.
BETWEEN John Hadfield of Whitfield in the parish of Glossop in the county of Derby Yeoman and John Chappell of Whitfield in the parish of Glossop Spinner.
ALL that plot piece or parcel of land as the same is now measured and set out situate lying and being in Whitfield in the parish of Glossop in the county of Derby heretofore part of a certain close or field of land of him the said John Hadfield called The Bridge Field and bounded on the Northerly side thereof by other part of the said close called The Bridge Field on the Southerly side thereof  by a Lane leading from the Old Highway between Whitfield and Simmondley to The Pikes on the Easterly side thereof by land of the said John Hadfield now leased or intended to be leased to Samuel Peter Carrington heretofore part of the said close called The Bridge Field and on the Westerly side thereof by other part of the said close of the said John Hadfield called The Bridge Field intended hereafter to be made into a street of eight yards wide and which said plot piece or parcel of land contains on the Northerly side thereof forty six feet and three inches or thereabouts on the Southerly side thereof forty five feet or thereabouts on the Easterly side thereof from the point in the plan drawn in the margin of these presents marked A being the south easterly corner thereof  to the point in the same plan marked B on the said Easterly side thereof thirty seven feet or thereabouts and from the same last mentioned point marked B to the point in the said plan marked C being the Northeasterly corner thereof thirty one feet or thereabouts making along the whole Easterly side thereof sixty eight feet or thereabouts and on the Westerly side thereof fifty four feet or thereabouts being in width across from the said point on the Easterly side thereof marked B in the said plan in a direct line to the Westerly side thereof to the point marked D in the said plan fifty three feet and six inches and which said plot piece or parcel of land contains in the whole Three hundred and twenty eight square yards or thereabouts.

The land on which 2 Pikes Lane and 54 & 56 Hollincross Lane are built was leased on the same day (1 April 1856) but that on which numbers 10 to 10 Pikes Lane were built was not leased until 22nd August 1859.

Pikes Lane is so named because it it led "from the highway between Whitfield and Simmondley to the Pikes". The Pikes was Pikes Farm and Pike Plantation (on which The Junction pub was built in 1817).
"the highway between Whitfield and Simmondley" ran from Victoria Street, along James Street and Hollincross Lane and down Slatelands (past Slatelands Cottage shown on the 1879 map referenced above).

John Chappell and family are listed in the 1861 census as living in Hollincross Lane (presumably the enumerator didn't know where it ended and Pikes Lane began). Which house that was (4, 6 or 8 ) is not known:
John   Chappell   Head   Married   Male   32   1829   Cotton Spinner   Glossop, Derbyshire, England
Mary   Chappell   Wife   Married   Female   32   1829   -   Cumberworth, Yorkshire, England
Walter   Chappell   Son   -   Male   6   1855   Scholar   Glossop, Derbyshire, England
Richard   Chappell   Son   -   Male   2   1859   -   Glossop, Derbyshire, England
Joseph E   Chappell   Son   -   Male   0   1861   -   Glossop, Derbyshire, England

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 May 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Wow! thanks for even  more information, very interesting about the lease deeds, a big thankyou  to all who have posted.

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information given, Just like to say my daughter has recently been given the deeds to her house by the previous owners, which are really interesting.