Author Topic: F PRINZ, multiple burials in plot at Nunhead Cemetary  (Read 50 times)

Offline JAK19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
F PRINZ, multiple burials in plot at Nunhead Cemetary
« on: Wednesday 15 May 19 20:38 BST (UK) »
I wish to know more information about the burial of an ancestor.

FREDERICK PRINZ died 20 June 1915 at the Sick Asylum, Bromley. When inquiring about the death I was told by a Royal London Hospital archivist that his record states he was admitted here on 18th June 1915 from Stepney parish, age 77, address 26 Juniper Street, Shadwell, wife Harriet Sarah PRINZ.

I have now found his burial was on 25 June 1915 at Nunhead Cemetary, Southwark.

The interment details for the grave lists 14 occupants, who are unrelated. The burial dates for these persons were around a week either side of Frederick's burial.

My understanding is that after some time a grave can be reused, or that multiple occupation around the same time may occur if there is overcrowding or an outbreak of illness (e.g. plague). I thought maybe this is some sort of pauper's grave, however I would not expect so many to buried in such a small time frame. Perhaps in London these things are more common. This is my first time looking at a burial record like this, it seems unusual at least compared to the burials at churches in sleepy rural villages that I'm used to looking at.

I have attached images of the plot details if the record headings can be deciphered.

If anyone can provide any further explanation will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keen, Prinz, Printz, Melhuish, King, Croxford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: F PRINZ, multiple burials in plot at Nunhead Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
The probability is that it was a Common Grave in which no private burial rights existed. Common graves were often filled over the course of a few days with the bodies of unrelated people and whose families could just about afford a very basic burial but not a private grave. There aren't any headstones. London cemeteries tend to be very large and there are quite a few common graves.

Might be worth contacting these people to see if they can give you more information.

https://www.fonc.org.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.