Author Topic: Help dating photo of mystery woman sat in a chair  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Help dating photo of mystery woman sat in a chair
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 May 19 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

I tried enlarging them as I did the hands, when looking to see if I thought a didgit was missing.

Unfortunately tho I was able to enlarge them considerably, the definition was so poor I could not be certain as to what the shiny objects were. And if indeed they were numerals. The third may only look different due to the contour of the dress, and the different way the object is reflecting the light.

Likewise the lower object.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 May 19 10:36 BST (UK) »
I agree we're probably looking more at an 1860's birth than 1870's or 80's, not only her hands, the dress itself, and her slightly sunken features suggest to me the top end of her 50's, perhaps in her '60's I'd say. Though it can be hard to be precise if she had a tough outdoor life.
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 May 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
It looks like she doesn't have any teeth which is ageing but her hair isn't going grey and her skin doesn't look too wrinkled, so hard to be sure.
Although it does look like numbers I think it is a bar brooch.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 May 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
Shaun.

Peoples personal accessories continue to be worn for years so, watches, watch chains, studs, pins, and a range of woman's acessories can often help identify a subject, over a range of photos. And some times even down the generations.

If you have other photos to compare with, it might pay to ask your Mum to rescan the photo at a high resolution and then crop to just the individual accessory, to keep under the posting cap of 500KB. That way we should be able to see more detail, in each acessory, to help the identification process.

In our family case, unfortunately one local history publisher reversed a photo in print, so the photo credit incorrectly named the siblings. Rt to Lt instead of the other way around. As same named cousins were united in marriage, it was hard enough sorting out the individuals in the large familles, without the added complication.

Many extended family since have incorrectly identified the siblings when researching.

The proof of the identity of the subject is Gt Grand Ma's broach that came with her from Scotland to NZ in 1859.

Regards,

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.