Author Topic: Fleet Air Arm and R.N.A.T.E. badges  (Read 134 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Fleet Air Arm and R.N.A.T.E. badges
« on: Thursday 16 May 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help to identify these two badges please. We know who they belong to - he was serving in the Fleet Air Arm in the later 1930s and through WW2, and wonder if the Fleet Air Arm badge was his cap badge?

We have been able to identify that RNATE stands for Royal Navy Artificer Training Establishment but wonder what the significance is of the  'Good Luck' horseshoe. When and why might it have been issued?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Air Arm and R.N.A.T.E. badges
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
I expect the photo(s) will be along in a moment :) but meanwhile, the Fleet Air Arm wore the same cap badges as the remainder of the Royal Navy so wherever it was it wasn't on a cap.

A horseshoe at a training establishment may well have to do with the successful completion of a
course or a good luck wish before a course or a good luck as you leave us token.  Whatever, it would have been something personal rather than official.

Looking forward to the badges.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Fleet Air Arm and R.N.A.T.E. badges
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to identify these two badges please? We know who they belonged to - he served in the Fleet Air Arm from the late 1930s and throughout WW2 and beyond, and wonder if the Fleet Air Arm badge was a cap badge.

We are intrigued to know a little more about the R.N.A.T.E. (Royal Navy Artificer Training Establishment) badge with the Good Luck text and horseshoe. Who would it have been issued to and why/when?

Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD. I must inadvertently clicked on 'post' before I added the image, then got called away. I've reposted my query - this time with the photos
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Another thread sans photo: :)

Threads merged.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
The Fleet Air Arm badge is not a uniform badge.  It has the look of a "sweetheart" brooch perhaps individually commissioned.  The centre piece is very similar to this https://www.bagthejewels.co.uk/fleet-air-arm-sweetheart-brooch--sterling-silver-and-enamel-sold-1693-p.asp

Equally the RNATE badge has the look of a personalised item using as the centre piece the crest of the establishment, did someone get married/engaged while there?

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 May 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
That's intriguing MaxD. They belong to my cousin in Australia - her late father, who was the brother of my uncle-by-marriage, joined the Navy when he left school before the outbreak of WW2. My cousin believes that they were in her grandmother's possession, but because I am particularly focused on that period of time I have assumed, probably erroneously, that they date back to the 1940s. In light of what you have said I have asked my cousin to check if there are any marks on the reverse that might help to date them. 
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 May 19 15:28 BST (UK) »
The Fisgard Association may have ideas?
https://thefisgardassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=108

Interesting time line under the "About us" tab.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
RNATE at Torpoint, in Cornwall was the Artificer Apprentice part 1 training establishment.  It was Commissioned as HMS Fisgard in December 1946 and the badge in the centre of your brooch  with the hammer in the raised hand became the badge of the establishment with the name FISGARD replacing RNATE above.  Max D is right the Fisgard Association will have any background information you may need.

Clive P