Author Topic: Cotton Trade Liverpool  (Read 4459 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Trade Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 May 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
No idea, he was only remembered as speaking with a ‘foreign’ accent.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 May 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
the family story was that Pierre came to Liverpool to work in the cotton industry

By 1911 he had became a cotton broker's clerk: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWY7-64G

Later on he was a partner in Hornby Hemelryk & Co

Paul E.J. Hemelryk born Leyden, Holland 1840. Came to Liverpool 1862. Became a cotton broker in partnership  with H.H. Hornby 1870. He was decorated by the Pope for charitable work and by the Emperor of Japan for work as Japanese Consul in Liverpool.

Gat Society History Walks 12
 "The Business Interests of Liverpool's Cotton Brokers c1800-1914" by Nigel Hall; Journal of Northern History vol. 41 (2004)
Some business records online.
Cowban

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:10 BST (UK) »
got him, I think     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ntb/    (image 973 / n° 39)
birth of Pierre Edouard LEPORCQ  ° 5 July 1884 Petit-Rechain, Liège, Belgium, at 9pm
parents : Jean Augustin Julien LEPORCQ (dit LEPOURCEAU), 30 years old, supervisor in a factory and Marie Joseph GEORIS, 27 years old, residing in Petit-Rechain

his parents marriage :   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ntc/     image 776 / n° 18  (image 758 / n° 75  birth registration of Marie Francoise LEPORCQ, daughter of them)

Jean Augustin Julien LEPORCQ (dit LEPOURCEAU) -  Marie Joseph GEORIS   x 28 August 1880 Battice, Liège, Belgium, at 10am 
groom : ° 28 May 1854 Ensival, supervisor in a factory, residing in Verviers
parents : Pierre Edouard LEPORCQ (dit LEPOURCEAU), 56 years old, watchmaker and Jeanne Cathérine Thérèse DREZE, 49 years old, residing in Verviers, present and consenting
bride : ° 30 May 1857 Devant Staneux,Theux, residing in Battice
parents : Nicolas Joseph GEORIS, 53 years old, farmer and Marie Francoise CAJOT, 50 years old, residing in Battice, present and consenting

marriage annexes   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9SJ-BJW9?i=956&cat=126741    image 957 - 961

(Ensival, Liège, Belgium // Verviers, Liège, Belgium // Devant Staneux, hamlet of Theux, Liège, Belgium)

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 May 19 16:32 BST (UK) »
Good work Leen!  This is the family that Pauline found in Tourcoing in the 1906 census.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 May 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm impressed and prepared to say so, even if the original poster has been on and beggared off again without thanking you.
Well done.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all. I have been able to connect the line through to the living relatives. My only concern is that we haven’t found his father with the name Auguste as per the marriage certificate, other than that it fits together well.
Just a question to Maiden Stone and Shaunj is where did you find the business info on Pierre? Thanks again.

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
PS the delay in responding is due to me travelling back to the U.K. and having no internet.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 May 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
The links I posted didn't work so I removed them. I don't usually keep my notes for enquiries on here unless it might be useful again.
 I began with Grace's Guide website. I don't think I found much on there. There's Worrall's Cotton Directory. Some of the Gat Society History Walks contained little bits. I googled the rest, using Hemelryk or Hemelryk and Hornby cotton brokers as search terms.  Extracts from the article about Liverpool cotton brokers in "Journal of Northern History" are online.
I noticed business records but didn't investigate.
You might find something in National Archives Discovery catalogue. Holdings of many other archives are listed.
There are military records for WW1 as Mr Hemelryk held public office and raised recruits.
Cowban

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 May 19 03:14 BST (UK) »
I suspect that that birth near Liège/Luik is probably the right one. However I wonder why the 1939 register is so wrong? I haven't seen the original document, but “Pierre Leporeq”, cotton broker, has his DOB as 13 Feb 1884 in a transcribed version.

BTW Pierre would have been employed in the cotton trade since (at least) 1903/1904:
Messrs. Hornby, Hemelryk and Co. have taken into partnership Mr. W. F. Mitty and Mr. P. E. Leporcq, who have been with the firm 30 years and 27 years respectively” (Times 7 Apr 1931)