Author Topic: Ancestry - edit box changes  (Read 1886 times)

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry - edit box changes
« on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have noticed a recent design change in Ancestry edit boxes and I am experiencing the following problems as a consequence:

1. Very slow response when 'save' is selected.

2. Information edited in an 'edit marriage' box does not transpose to the other partner.

3. Lifestory places in exclusively UK based individuals include USA locations!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Mark

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - edit box changes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
Yesterday ------ definitely

I had turned beta ON

and it just was not functioning as it had previously.

wouldnt attach to the correct parent when I attempted to alter parentage and then.. wouldnt attach that Mother to husband ...

I had to keep going back to it and re-altering it...

I have turned Beta off..

but havent done any research as yet for me..   

so we will see

(ps NOT MOANING  honest :) :) :) )

xin

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, me too, since yesterday. Seriously considering giving up on Ancestry.

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a Beta option button. Where is this?

I telephoned Ancestry Support today and was told that the change is a permanent one across the site and that there may be problems, although nobody had reported any.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
It's always been slow, but the "Show this event on LifeStory" addition seems to have reduced things to a crawl.

The failure to replicate marriage changes to the spouse is definitely a new bug. They will no doubt claim it is intentional. After all, they claim to know more about the event concerned than any person can, so don't see the point of having any explanation, descriptive text or transcription. Some of their event types don't even have a text field.

The failure of LifeStory geography is anything but new. Ancestry just can't parse postal addresses. I am pedantic about having country mentioned in my addresses, so they have no excuse for relocating things to the other side of the Atlantic. After all, we have three countries on the UK mainland.

Even addresses within the USA are affected. They can't figure out where the White House is. Try "1600, Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America" and see where Ancestry claim the President lives. When I complained, they suggested that the cure was for me to remove street addresses and just have towns and cities.

Added: I've just found out that you can now have the bride and groom marrying each other on different days and in different places!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Perhaps LifeStory should be suspended until the technicians can make fixes, otherwise it is just an untidy confusion.

Regarding the edit box bugs, please contact Ancestry Support by e-mail to help move things along:

ancestrysupport@ancestry.co.uk

(you will receive a case number)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
It's always been slow, but the "Show this event on LifeStory" addition seems to have reduced things to a crawl.

The failure to replicate marriage changes to the spouse is definitely a new bug. They will no doubt claim it is intentional. After all, they claim to know more about the event concerned than any person can, so don't see the point of having any explanation, descriptive text or transcription. Some of their event types don't even have a text field.

The failure of LifeStory geography is anything but new. Ancestry just can't parse postal addresses. I am pedantic about having country mentioned in my addresses, so they have no excuse for relocating things to the other side of the Atlantic. After all, we have three countries on the UK mainland.

Even addresses within the USA are affected. They can't figure out where the White House is. Try "1600, Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America" and see where Ancestry claim the President lives. When I complained, they suggested that the cure was for me to remove street addresses and just have towns and cities.

Added: I've just found out that you can now have the bride and groom marrying each other on different days and in different places!

I've had the location issue for a while, well before the beta came out.  Locations kept flipping to mostly US although occasionally Canadian or Australian locations.  I made a point of entering in locations in the format town, county, country.  I then put the street address in the comments section.   l looked to today fafter reading this thread and grandfather from Kilsyth, Scotland is now allegedly from Kilsyth,Alberta, Canada.  That's new he used to come from Kilsyth, Fayette County, Virgina.  I wish Ancestry would stop deciding I've wrongly entered locations and changing them to seemingly random ones.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise the location issues in LifeStory already existed.

The issues regardng slow response when 'save' is selected in an edit box and the non-replication of data when using the 'edit marriage' box remains. These happened suddenly when Ancestry changed the edit box format, so it cannot be my browser.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have just added a marriage using the 'Add Marriage' and it carried over the same information to the spouse.  I also went back in and amended the information and that also shows on the spouse without having to amend her too.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk