Author Topic: 1881 Newfoundland Census Skinner  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Carol Spain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Newfoundland Census Skinner
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
trying to find birth and parents of Rev. Frederic Skinner of Newfoundland, Bermuda, Nova Scotia and Barbados...born approx 1853. Married Emma Lightbourn Peniston in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1877.

sara
serendipidy

Hello,
Rev. Frederic Skinner was my GGranfather, and was also looking to find were he passed away and in what circumstances.
Thanks

Offline Carol Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Themla, You've been a great help. Thanks for all the info. I think I have Frederic covered now but I still can't find anything on Edwin Peniston Skinner, who I believe is my ggrandfather. I'm not sure where or when he was born. If you come/came across that name could you let me know...thanks a million. sara

Also Edwin passed away in 1951 and have all the infromation you may need about him

Offline SDrum

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Have any of you come across John and Rose Ann(n) Skinner of Newfoundland? They would be my gggrandparents and the end of that baranch :(

Thanks Susan

Offline SDrum

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Have any of you come across John and Rose Ann(n) Skinner of Newfoundland? They would be my gggrandparents and the end of that baranch :(

Thanks Susan

Offline Frank Schmidt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
I have a family colorized portrait of Ella Frances Peniston Skinner Cox seated near her mother-in-law, Mrs. Charles Cox. Both son, Rod and daughter, Doris are pictured. Youngest son, Winston Howard Cox was not born as yet when the photo was taken. Ella's two grandsons, Terry and Doug live in Calif. and Michigan respectively.

This photo was taken in New York City, probably on the occasion of the widowed Mrs. Chas. Cox only visit to America from Barbados.

Some of old Mrs. Cox's daughters and sons are also in the photo including my maternal grandfather, Bert Cox. To read more about him and his letters from the front during WWI to his mother and brothers, just Google:  Letters from the front, Gunner Bert Cox.

Offline Frank Schmidt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Ella is seated to the far right (viewer's perspective) , husband, Murrill behind her) and two children in front of her.

Top Row—Left to Right- Herbert Cox, Carl Cox, Mabel (wife of Carl), Bert Cox, M.Howard Cox (Murrill),
Sitting Row-Left to Right-Helen (Herbert’s wife), Ina Cox, Grandmother Mrs. Charles Cox (up from Barbados), Leila Cox (front row) Ella Frances Peniston Skinner Cox (from Barbados, wife of M. Howard Cox) Mother of children in front part of picture (L-R) Doris Cox and Roderick Howard Cox.
“(Picture taken in New York City around year 1916 or 17)”   (note from Frank Schmidt (grandson of Bert Cox): Bert was in the Canadian Army (C.F.E.) in 1917 and in England. From a letter he wrote dated July 10th, 1916; Bert was at gunnery training camp in Petwawa, Ontario and his sister-in-law Helen, Herbert’s wife, pictured, would deliver their baby in September of that year.  Since we know that Bert would have been in uniform mid-1916 and Helen would be 7+ months pregnant then, this photo was probably not taken in 1916 but possibly 1915.
Bertram H. Cox was the youngest son born to Chas.H. S.Cox and Isabel Howard Cox
                                                  Living in Barbadoes

1.   Carl -- wife, Mabel - no children - Living in Brooklyn
2.   Duncan --died in Brooklyn in 1901 -- long before WWI
3.   Herbert -- wife, Hellen --- Son,   Horace H.  (Hank) Cox ,  worked in NY City
4.   Ina, --- never married, she was visiting in Brooklyn,  then returned to Barbados
5.   Norman --  working as a British Customs Official in Lagos, Nigeria, Africa.
                 Later, married Annie  --  one daughter, Isobel (Parris)
6.   Murrill ---wife, Ella  -worked in Detroit, Michigan -sons Roderick and Winston, one daughter: Doris (Fowler)                                                                                     

7   Leila--- married Jack Badley.  He worked in the family firm: T.Herbert Ld. B/dos (lumber and building materials; Bridgetown)
                          Sons:  Geoffrey and David

8   Bertram H. Cox, married Carrie Davenport after WWI, one daughter Molly.
Bert’s experiences in the War are transcribed in detail : Google, “Letters from the Front, Gunner Bert Cox.