Author Topic: O'Briens in New York - needle in haystack?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Briens in New York - needle in haystack?
« on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Patrick O'Brien (bc1865 Ireland) and his wife Annie Johnson (bc 1869 Ireland) who lived in New York.
I think I have details of them in 1900 Census with 3 children - Margaret F, Mary B, William J  all born New York between 1896 and 1900. Also living with them was Walter O'Brien, brother to Patrick, bc 1867 Ireland.
I have no idea when Patrick and Annie married or arrived in USA.
Any ideas or options considered.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Rudge, Strickson, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Briens in New York - needle in haystack?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
The 1900 census says they had been married for 4 years, Patrick immigrated in 1885 and was naturalized, Annie immigrated in 1890, and Walter immigrated in 1896.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
This appears to be them in 1910 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5MY-VT3  It says they had been married for 14 years, and it was a first marriage for both.  It says Patrick immigrated in 1882 and was naturalized and Annie immigrated in 1888.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.
Anything on the children? Particularly William bc1900
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Rudge, Strickson, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:34 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the family with Walter in 1905 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSRS-XQ2?i=30&cc=1463113

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 19 23:49 BST (UK) »
There seem to be births for these children with the mother's name as Annie Campbell.

William - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WWX-JCW

Margaret - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WST-C6V

Mary Bridget - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WWS-H8C

The months and the years of birth match those on the 1900 census.

Do you have parents' names or a town they're from in Ireland for the people you're looking for?

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have also just checked out the births for the children and noticed that mother was Annie Campbell O'Brien!
Trouble is that I am checking this out for someone else (they are looking at my brick wall) and the name given me was Annie Johnson. So I will get back to them and see what they reckon but on the face of it, quite a stumbling block.
Thank you for your help.
Jackie

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
Is there any other information that you have to rule in or out this family?

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 19 00:40 BST (UK) »
William (J) O'Brien claimed his birthday as 15 April, not in February, but was apparently very vague about his parents and early life. A possible stint in WW1, in either US Army or Navy. He ended up in Australia around 1927, married here and raised a family.
So not a lot to go on, I'm afraid.
Jackie