Author Topic: Current Birth Certificate Information  (Read 2856 times)

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Current Birth Certificate Information
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 May 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
In these days of computers it is easier for the registrar they can enter a name etc and all the information they need is there at the press of a button.

Going back to the "old days". My mum was born in 1918 and due to circumstances of WW1 was fostered. Legal adoption was not available in Scotland until 1928/1929 I think. Her birth mother who kept in contact and gave financial support gave permission for mum to use her foster parents surname. Mum was 14 before she was told about this.

On her birth certificate is the Surname of Patrick and obviously illegitimate.
On her marriage certificate it states Lovell formerly Patrick.
On the birth certificates of her two daughters it gives mother's maiden name as Lovell.
On her death certificate it gives her maiden name as Patrick - The Registrar would not include the surname of Lovell.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Dowdstree,What an interesting story.
At least you were made aware of your circumstances,my own family were so secretive.
Now all passed on so nobody to ask.
I have very early memories of being in another country.
Being on a large ship in wartime,with unknown females.
Sailors in uniform,made  quoits with rope on deck,remember throwing one overboard, I was very small.got a good hiding,taken below to a dark cabin with other wooden bunks stacked up. the memory has never left me.Others in the cabin complained about my crying.
My birth certificate with a stamp,states 1941,born in a private nursing home in Wiltshire.I can remember VE Day and the flags.
Perhaps am not supposed to find out the rights of this,but would dearly like to.
I have spent a fortune on trying to get to the bottom of this,my early records if any,must be in another unknown name. Brionne.

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Brionne. My mum always felt she was "inadequate" for some reason. Unfortunately her foster father passed away when she was only 8 and her foster mother when she was 20. She always had an uneasy relationship with her birth mother. However, that is another long story.

I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel. What horrible first memories you have. I assume that you were legally adopted and have tried to gain access to your records in England with no luck.

As you say you have already spent a fortune but sometimes it's not about the money but seeking the truth.

Good Luck,

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:30 BST (UK) »

In some cases so much was covered up years ago,fathers name left blank,

Even today, for unmarried parents the father must attend the birth registration to be named on the certificate
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
In these days of computers it is easier for the registrar they can enter a name etc and all the information they need is there at the press of a button.

There is no link between birth, marriage, and death records so they can't be cross referenced at all. Looking up stuff on computer is specifically not allowed - the registrar must take the information from the informant, checking a year or place  of birth on Ancestry (or similar) is a big no-no.

On her marriage certificate it states Lovell formerly Patrick.
On her death certificate it gives her maiden name as Patrick - The Registrar would not include the surname of Lovell.

Maybe a quirk of Scottish registration but under the rules of GRO in England/Wales her maiden name should be recorded as Lovell (being the name she first married under).

Even today, for unmarried parents the father must attend the birth registration to be named on the certificate

True - it was always a shame when a mother desperately wanted the father's name to be put on the register, but he wasn't there so the law doesn't allow it.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Marmalady,Thanks for your input on this. I had no idea that my original post would evolve like this.
Have been researching for years,but still have so much to learn.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 May 19 16:00 BST (UK) »
AntonyMMM - the only thing we took with us when we registered my mother's death in 2010 was her marriage certificate. The registrar did something on her computer and said her maiden name would have to be Patrick. We rightly or wrongly assumed that she had checked her original birth registration.
We certainly did not give her any information on mum's background.

On Edinburgh Electoral Registers prior to mum's marriage in 1945 she is Lovell.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 May 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
AntonyMMM - the only thing we took with us when we registered my mother's death in 2010 was her marriage certificate. The registrar did something on her computer and said her maiden name would have to be Patrick. We rightly or wrongly assumed that she had checked her original birth registration.
We certainly did not give her any information on mum's background.

On Edinburgh Electoral Registers prior to mum's marriage in 1945 she is Lovell.

Dorrie

Scotland (?) have a different system and different rules, so can't help with that.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 May 19 16:25 BST (UK) »
brionne your reply #8

My 1st husband now deceased was born in 1934. He was brought up by his mother - who incidentally had been widowed in 1925 - so this gentleman could not have been his father. He was given some details regarding his father's name, occupation and so on. There is what we call an RCE here in Scotland - a Register of corrected entries.

Some years after his death I was researching at Scotlands People and was able to look at the RCE which named his father. Being curious I asked a member of staff about this and was told his birth was open to reregistration. We completed the paperwork and I now have an amended birth certificate to pass on to his children and grandsons.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife