Author Topic: Where could Holyhost, Shropshire, have been?  (Read 179 times)

Online sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where could Holyhost, Shropshire, have been?
« on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
John Hayward according to 1841 census was born in Cheshire, living in Barrow, Cheshire, with his 3rd wife Esther, 2 children from his second marriage and 2 children from his 3rd marriage, Esther and Elizabeth (transcribed at Ancestry as Hedgward).

By 1851, John, Ester, plus their 2 children Ester and Elizabeth have moved to Lower Bebington. John's place of birth is given as Holyhost, Shropshire, and I wonder if anybody knows where that could be?

He died in 1860, so there are no further clues as to his place of birth. He married 3 times in Chester, Cheshire and 6 of his children were born in Stamford Bridge, Barrow where he was an Innkeeper at Stamford Bridge Inn.

Hoping someone can help me.
Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where could Holyhost, Shropshire, have been?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
Could it be Hollyhurst which is a township in the Parish of Whitchurch, 2 miles north of Whichurch, according to the Genuki pages for Shropshire.

There is a baptism in Whitchurch 25 February 1787 for a John Hayward son of John and Sarah.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, emeltom.

Highly likely. Interestingly I tried searching for him from my ancestry tree, I have just noticed that Ancestry changes his birth place to 'Hollyhurst, Shropshire, England, United Kingdom', even though I clearly have his birth as Holyhost, Shropshire, England.

Not far from Marbury, Cheshire, where his first child is thought to have been baptised, the family later being settled in Barrow, Cheshire.

Thank you once again.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline John Pemberton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:48 »
Hi

I have quite a bit on John Hayward.  He later moved to Moreton on the Wirral and is buried at Bidston church.  His two daughters with his third wife also settled on the Wirral.  Hollyhurst is indeed where he was born.  It took me some time to work it out.  His parents etc were from Audlem in Cheshire from way back.

Cheers

John

Online sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 16:21 »
John, Are you related to Kristine Warner who has a public tree on Ancestry?

I have had a discussion with her about this family, she is also related to the Pemberton family and John Hayward.

I am more interested in the children of John Hayward and Mary Newport than John himself. The four girls inherited property and land from their grandfather, William Newport, in 1849 in Great Barrow, Cheshire.
John as I'm sure you know was Innkeeper at Stamford Bridge Inn at baptism of six of his children from 1823 to 1837 and was renting it in 1838/39, Cheshire Tithe Maps, and was still there in 1841 census. By 1851 he had moved on to Bebington. I had found the burial record, thank you.

Regards Margaret