Author Topic: Where is this castle? From a Lancashire family's album, 1800s  (Read 662 times)

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this castle? From a Lancashire family's album, 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 June 19 22:19 BST (UK) »
I just wonder if this is an early photo of Dolwyddelan Castle(approx. 20 miles from Conway).It was,apparently,"extensively restored in the mid 19th century".

Regards
Roger

That was my thought too. I used to lodge on the farm that houses this castle. Unlike most of the North Wales castles, it was a Welsh, not an English construction.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 June 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'd checked this out and the top is totally different, and like Skoosh said it had 4 turrets corbelling.

This is more reminiscence of a Scottish or border castle. ??? ??? ???

As Roger said, the Victorians were master at restoring things and destroying architectural

features but I don't think that Welsh castles had Scottish features, but stranger things have

happened ;D ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 June 19 06:54 BST (UK) »
These towers usually had three turrets & a cap-house for the stair giving access to the roof. A family named Bell was responsible for the construction of many of them. A kind of Persimmon Homes with battlements!  ;D

I've stayed in this much improved tower, central-heated & just superb with a wee dungeon if any of the party get obstreperous. An easy walk to the village for the pub & messages. Cheaper off-season?

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/castle-of-park-5748#Overview

Skoosh.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 19 10:39 BST (UK) »

" I've stayed in this much improved tower, central-heated & just superb with a wee dungeon if any of the party get obstreperous. An easy walk to the village for the pub & messages. Cheaper off-season? "

That's the difference between you and me Skoosh. I would have cut out the middle man

and stayed at the Pub. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D