Author Topic: A Victorian woman with short hair?! Evelyn Rimmer, Lancashire  (Read 5262 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Victorian woman with short hair?! Evelyn Rimmer, Lancashire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 May 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
Think I've a very distant and loose connection by marriage with Seth Rimmer of Southport, off hand via one of his siblings? Seem to recall there were loads of them.
Haven't seen many images of victorian / edwardian ladies with proven short hair - sometimes it's so tightly pinned back that it can look that way, and if it's springy and wavy it can look even more that way - but why ever not have it cut short if she wanted?
Unlikely it'd be a requirement of hygiene, a cap would attend to that. Recovery from previous illness may be a possibility - but if the lady in question was worried about that, she'd probably wait to have her portrait taken until it was possible to style it in a more usual way.
Perhaps she had an another occupation ( bathing machine attendant? - although that'd be a long trek at Southport!) that made short hair helpful and practical. Didn't she spend some time as a baker? - hot and sweaty job)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 May 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
You may be interested to know Ruth that there is a tree on Ancestry of her as Sarah Evelyn Rimmer Daughter of Seth born in 1870 in Southport and there is a lovely photo of her with her hair up that I would date to mid 1890s. Interestingly, although mistranscribed as Gayla, on the 1891 census she is listed as "A Baker" leading me to believe that somewhere between the mid-late 1890s and when she arrived in New York in 1910 she has had her hair cut. The photo you have put up is more typical of the Edwardian style.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 May 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
Really good find, Carol.

The tree has:

Married Ormskirk, 1892
Arrived NY, 1910
Died Michigan, 1919

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:17 BST (UK) »
You may be interested to know Ruth that there is a tree on Ancestry of her as Sarah Evelyn Rimmer Daughter of Seth born in 1870 in Southport and there is a lovely photo of her with her hair up that I would date to mid 1890s. Interestingly, although mistranscribed as Gayla, on the 1891 census she is listed as "A Baker" leading me to believe that somewhere between the mid-late 1890s and when she arrived in New York in 1910 she has had her her cut. The photo you have put up is more typical of the Edwardian style.
Carol

Hi Carol, thanks for all your comments. There is nothing on the back of the photograph unfortunately, the dater thought that she looked about 20 and as born in 1870 used that to date but of course could be wrong. The tree you saw on Ancestry may be mine, I have several photos of her. All the sisters were pretty but she is just gorgeous. Thanks for your suggestion about her getting it cut in America :)
Allen Batterby Rimmer Conroy Brigham Pierpoint Butcher Winnard

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
The first think I thought when I saw the photo was that the woman had had her hair cut due to illness.  So, I would definitely agree with those that have previously said this.  Something like scarlet fever would be my thought.  However, she may have had lice or her long hair may have become matted through a long bout illness and therefore needed to be cut.  I would google something like 'Victorian illness and short hair'.  I really don't think there is any deeper significance to this.

CD

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 May 19 02:35 BST (UK) »
The young woman seems to have thick hair on top of her head and what may be several small plaits at side.
Cowban

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 May 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
There are examples of women with short hair on pinterest in the Victorian era.

Makes me think it was fashionable.

Also the suffragettes on "The Parades End" series had short hair (Edward was to be king as Queen Victoria was near the end or her reign)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 May 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
Like Carol (Reply #11) I couldn't resist having a play. :) 
Here are two different versions.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.