Author Topic: HELP please (look-up, suggestions) with SPURR in Sheffield (Samuel & Robert)  (Read 1153 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert SPURR, baptised Sheffield Cathedral 1797 parents Thomas + Mary SPURR.
Best guess/best fit is that this Robert SPURR married Mary Sedgwick, Sheffield 1816.
Baby Ann SPURR baptised Sheffield Cathedral 1817, parents Robert SPURR + Mary, who are presumably the above couple.
Then I can find nothing more.
What happened to Robert?

Also Samuel b 28 October 1818. Robert a joiner
And  John 8 Feb 1821   Robert a joiner

guest259648

Re: HELP please (look-up, suggestions) with SPURR in Sheffield (Samuel & Robert)
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Robert SPURR, baptised Sheffield Cathedral 1797 parents Thomas + Mary SPURR.
Best guess/best fit is that this Robert SPURR married Mary Sedgwick, Sheffield 1816.
Baby Ann SPURR baptised Sheffield Cathedral 1817, parents Robert SPURR + Mary, who are presumably the above couple.
Then I can find nothing more.
What happened to Robert?

Also Samuel b 28 October 1818. Robert a joiner
And  John 8 Feb 1821   Robert a joiner

Oh!!! I'm looking for a Robert Spurr who is a joiner... this is VERY exciting...
Does it mention the mother? Is it Mary?

I can't see these records through my own systems... Are they in the Cathedral books or a different church?

Please Mckha489 will you see if there is a 'Henry Spurr' born to "Robert Spurr, a joiner", in Sheffield the mid-1820s?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP please (look-up, suggestions) with SPURR in Sheffield (Samuel & Robert)
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 May 19 20:49 BST (UK) »

Oh!!! I'm looking for a Robert Spurr who is a joiner... this is VERY exciting...

I can't see these records through my own systems... Are they in the Cathedral books or a different church?

Please Mckha489 will you see if there is a 'Henry Spurr' born to "Robert Spurr, a joiner", in Sheffield the mid-1820s?

Yes, the baptisms of Samuel and John show mother as Mary - yes, they were baptised at the Cathedral.

Alas, there is no baptism for a Henry Spurr born to Robert and Mary at Sheffield.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 May 19 21:15 BST (UK) »

Yes, the baptisms of Samuel and John show mother as Mary - yes, they were baptised at the Cathedral.

Alas, there is no baptism for a Henry Spurr born to Robert and Mary at Sheffield.

Annette
[/quote]

Annette, thank you for clarifying... alas no Henry, sigh.
It's this Henry Spurr who is the focus of my search; I was hoping to find him via the Robert Spurr & Samuel Spurr described in my initial enquiry.

The formula I need is "Henry Spurr born Sheffield 1825/6* + father Robert Spurr a joiner/carpenter".
*Henry's approx. DOB comes from the 1851 census (25) and age at death in early 1861 (36).
The 'Sheffield' comes from the 1851 census too. Father's name & occupation from Henry's marriage cert. 1846.
I'm really struggling to find Henry's birth/baptism.

So there's nothing visible in the Sheffield Cathedral records, what a shame. However, suppose this Robert Spurr + Mary were baptising post-1821 children at a different church from the Cathedral, where might that be? I don't think St Mary's Bramall Lane was built till 1830? I'm not local to Sheffield, so I need a bit of assistance here :-)