Author Topic: Searching New Zealand BDM's In Person  (Read 2868 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Searching New Zealand BDM's In Person
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 May 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Dorrie,

I can confirm that Births, Deaths & Marriage records are held at Auckland Central Library. On fiche up to 1990 and from there on computer up to 1997. A disc matching Brides & Grooms up to 1956 is available for viewing. These are included in the fiche records but the disc makes the search much easier.

Births, Deaths & Marriages up to 1990 are also available on fiche at the Takapuna Library on Auckland's North Shore.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 May 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Dorrie,

I can confirm that Births, Deaths & Marriage records are held at Auckland Central Library. On fiche up to 1990 and from there on computer up to 1997. A disc matching Brides & Grooms up to 1956 is available for viewing. These are included in the fiche records but the disc makes the search much easier.

Births, Deaths & Marriages up to 1990 are also available on fiche at the Takapuna Library on Auckland's North Shore.

Minniehaha.

Hi Minniehaha,

I was referring to the actual registers that are used for printouts and certificates being held in Wellington not the fiche

Cheers Janette

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again Dorrie,

I live in Auckland and would be happy to provide advice/information re the genealogy search your cousin is undertaking, if needed.

I can provide my contact details by personal message......

Minniehaha.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 May 19 16:20 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon to all you wonderful people in New Zealand.

I have spoken to my cousin in Dundee who's niece is in Auckland at the moment and so far she has not had any free time to do any research. Oh well it's back to me and rootschat.

From the websites you have given me I have been able to find two deaths and one birth and two marriages. I will send for "printouts" as you suggested Janette.

From an old family letter sent from New Zealand around 1960 it looks as if at least one child may still be alive so I won't post her name here. Just have to leave that one.

That leaves me with two queries which you may be able to help me with.

1.  Stella Rita May was born in Auckland in 1915 she married Montague Edmund Noonan in 1939. He died in 1997 according to New Zealand Records. There does not seem to be a death listed for Stella under the name of May or Noonan. Any advice on this one or could she possibly still be alive aged 104???

2.  Mary Troup( m.s. Small) - born in County Antrim around 1861. Moved with her parents and siblings to Dundee and then to New Zealand in 1908 with her niece and her family. There appear to be two deaths for a Mary Troup in the indexes one for 1923 and the other for 1948. Either could be her. Any advice on how I could narrow this down short of getting both.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks again,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 May 19 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorrie
I live in the UK and have also found lots of records in NZ. Everyone is so helpful. I don't know if you have used the NZ archives website  https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/   but putting in your ladies names comes up with a couple of entries. I have had a quick look as both your Mary Troup appear here with probate files. Both wills are digitised on FamilySearch. Maybe some information in these will help decide which one is yours.
It is possible your other lady Stella Rita May Noonan may have remarried as when you enter her husband's  name in the search on the archives it comes up with divorce files in 1960/1961.
Hope this helps your search a bit. Just realised Alan mentioned Archway as well.
Regards KK

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 May 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that KK.

Missed the Archway website (apologies to Alan) but will have a look now and also family search for Mary Troup my 2 x great aunt. She was married twice , widowed twice and never had any children but must have been close to her niece to go all the way to New Zealand with her.

Will let you know how I get on and many thanks.

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Dorrie,

The divorce for Stella as per reply #13.......

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=22651967

Minniehaha.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon to all you wonderful people in New Zealand.

Edit.....From an old family letter sent from New Zealand around 1960 it looks as if at least one child may still be alive so I won't post her name here. Just have to leave that one.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated,
.....Edit

Thanks again,

Dorrie

Morning again Dorrie.

Got a prompt to your PM so answered it first, so apologies. You have now supplied to the thread, some names and dates.  I would suggest you take up Minniehaha's offer [or mine, but she has better resourses than I] of communicating by Private Message the other name, and then you can receive by private message, where we feel you should be looking for more details like former addresses, cemeteries, funeral directors.

Those probates will be well worth looking up, even if you have to be taking a temporary free subscription to read the ones that are digitized on-line. Unfortunately I'm fully committed in the Waikato for the next three months, otherwise I could have photographed them on my next [spring] visit to Auckland Archives.

All the best,

Alan.

PS Re the divorce listed above, to see that someone will have to attend the Archive. For a first visit the person attending will need a drivers licence or other proof of identity, for a quick and simple readers/viewers registration, and readers number that is then used to order up the papers required. Take a camera or good phone, and take photos of the pages that then can be downloaded to your [a] computer and studied at leasure. If your relatives don't make it to the archive, I should be able to do it for you, BUT it would be August at the earliest.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both minniehaha and Alan for your advice.

I had a visit from another cousin this afternoon a young lad of 18 who is really into genealogy. We went over all the basic facts that I already had and he confirmed that they are correct. He has the old letter I referred to and it was written to his grandmother and mentions names. See my reply #12 He thanks you all for your help and I have suggested he joins rootschat.

Will P.M. you minniehaha is that is ok by you,

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife